No announcement yet.

The One-Hit Wonder Thread!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haa! - Napoleon XIV
    I did a Google search on the letter "e".......the whole internet froze up.

My MySpace page:
    http://www.myspace.com/fendercasterga

Comment

I once played this 1968 recording for my high school students, in about 2002 or so.

I thought it would surely amuse them; instead, they were shocked speechless and somewhat frightened by it.
      Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

I think that's the winner!
        Bob

Comment

Fee Bird !
          www.guslozada.com

Comment

Voices - Russ Ballard
            Bloodstains -Agent Orange
            RIP: Nite Owl Jazz

Comment

That was hilarious...and he even used the 1930s voice. I remember that song.

I'll nominate a couple bubble gum classics, and a couple others:

Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes, Edison Lighthouse (what's unique about this song?)

I'm not sure what you're referring to. I was actually listening to that, as well as Flying Machine's "Smile A Little Smile For Me" last night. Another classic: White Plains "My Baby Loves Lovin'".

Terry Jacks: Seasons In The Sun. Hey, I was a kid at the time - I'm allowed some songs that, in retrospect, I don't like as much as I once did.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I had meant to post some YouTube URL's but timed out on my earlier post:

"For The Love Of Him" by Bobbi Martin

"I've Been Hurt" by Bill Deal & The Rhondells (How cool is this little quasi-psychedelic video?)

"Once You Understand" by Think

"19" by Paul Hardcastle

YouTube puts so many things in perspective... There's a one-hit-wonder I always thought was incredibly rubbishy.... But now I see this heartbreaking post under the video U/L on YouTube:

"Whoever posted this song. Thank you very much! It was a favorite song of my sister who died from cancer last year. The song is both haunting and loving at the same time."

...now I feel like a bit of a heel.
                Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Ted, are you referring to Tony Burrows? He had a lot of groups he was involved in that were "one hit wonders"... Another example (along with the aforementioned Edison Lighthouse and White Plains tracks) is The First Class "Beach Baby".

Tony's voice is uber cool IMHO.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Didn't Hardcastle also have a hit with "Rain Forest"? It's a staple on "smooth jazz" stations.
                    Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

Internet 15 minutes of fame:

"Chocolate Rain" - Tay Zonday or whatever it
                      www.guslozada.com

Comment

Didn't Hardcastle also have a hit with "Rain Forest"? It's a staple on "smooth jazz" stations.

Yeah, the "one hit wonder" qualification of some of these tunes is a little dodgy, maybe. Especially when you figure that some of the artists who only surfaced with 1HW's in the USA might've had a more thriving, fleshed-out career on the UK/Australia/Dutch charts, etc.

For example, I remember Gary Numan's OTHER hit, "Are Friends Electric?" but that may have been a UK hit only...

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

"D.O.A.", Bloodrock.
                          Botch
                          Start by admitting, From cradle to tomb,
                          Isn't that long a stay.
                          Life is a cabaret, old chum, and I love a cabaret...

Comment

Speaking of Tony Burrows, here's another session singer who incarnated in different records... She had a solo 1HW hit in 1963 with this lovely record:

I've always liked this production... a bit more sophisticated than other Girl Group-style records of the era.

From what I understand, Robin went on to provide backup vocals in a lot of hits thereafter for other artists; some cognoscenti even claim to be able to pick out her voice in any record she appeared in...

I know that she did the overlay vocals in the sound that was "The Partridge Family"...

Oooh, and here's a 1HW I used to love as a 6-year-old in 1969:

"Love Can Make You Happy" by Mercy

Here's a 1HW produced by Tommy James, that still kicks arse, bigtime. From 1971:

"Tighter, Tighter" by Alive 'N' Kicking

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Damm, beat me to it. I'll have to settle for...
                                "If Obama wins a second term I will leave the forum". - Visconti

Comment

How about Peter Sarstedt, "Where Do You Go To, My Lovely"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLH2Sjatn0

And who could ever forget;

Ahhh, Shaddapa You Face, by Joe Dolce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs

or, Prelude; After "The Goldrush"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8X3FKPKIGI

Bob
                                  Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

Working...
                                  X