See ya at AES?

Kendrix

• Members

There may have been a thread on this some time ago - If so i can't find it.

I'll be stalking the floor and attending a few of the master classes on Saturday for sure- perhaps a lttle time on Friday or Sunday as well.

If any foumites will be there it would be good to connect and say hi in person.

Cheers,

• Members

Strange that I don't see you in Rochester, might be run into you at the Javitz Center.

I'll probably be at AES Friday afternoon only.

Mark,

My plan is to drive down Friday early - in time to hear Emericks talk on Sgt Peppers @ 2;00 ( or perhaps the award ceremony @ 12:00 if I can).

Would be good to run into you.

Cheers,

• Members

Free drinks on me!! Just go up to any drinking fountain, say "Craig sent me," and hit the little lever...water will come out in abundance!

If any forumites see me walking around, come on up and say hi. Also, note that I've opened an AES discussion forum.

• CMS Author

When the hell is the "free drinks on Mike Rivers" show? I can't seem to ever remember that happening. Hmmm.

I keep hearing about free sushi on Jeff, but I always seem to miss it (and you).

I get my free drinks in the press room, but you have to get there early and be satisfied with water or coffee.

• Members

Try and meet up with Dahkter if he comes through...the guy's totally cool. I say this not because other forumites are not cool or whatever, but because I think I'm the only forumite who's met him so far.

Damn Ken,

Many thanks for the kind words, I'm just an average bloke who likes music, food and people, very happy to have stumbled across SSS and met good people in virtual (and in your case physical) form.

I am trying to come through, I have Friday and Monday off of work, so possibly early Friday I'll roll through...

If anyone needs help navigating NYC or food info, or whatever, PM me...

• Members

I'll be there working with a few folks including Orange Hill Audio (Samplitude/Sequoia), and Paul Reed Smith's band at the Studer demo room.

It'll be great to see all of those attending!

• Members

Dakter and i did meet up.

We attended the G. Emerick talk together and spent some time on the show floor.

As advertised, and as Ive found with most forumites Ive met, he is a really nice guy.

Like many of us do/have he balances the demands of a young family with a day job and with his musical endeavors.

It was also good to run into Jeff the Weasel again and to see Craig.

Somehow i missed running into Tinderarts- even thougjh I had my eye out for him.

Business seemed generally healthy for the exhibitors.

That was good to see.

I rubbed shoudlers with Al Kooper, Lisa Loeb and a few notable record producers and engineers. That plus 5 bucks will get me a cab ride.

However, it was cool nevertheless.

I didnt buy any gear- Im feeling OK with my current rig,

However, I find these shows to be inspiring.

They provoke me to try and take my productions to the next level.

Perhaps the big news was about global warming. It was 80+ degrees in Manhattan in October. Wazzup with that?

Oh yeah it's official- Im now an AES member. That plus 5 busks will also get me a cab ride.

Cheers,

• Members

Sorry I missed you, Ken. I slipped into the Geoff Emmerich session about 5 minutes late. Is that "remaking Sgt Pepper's" documentary available on DVD? Bryan Adams nailing his track in 1 take was certainly impressive. The Fray's drummer was very funny, talking about using tea towels on the drums (something like) "I've used tea towels on drum heads, but these are real British tea towels with the same thread count Ringo used.":D

If you like NYC temps in the mid 80s + humidity, try it in a suit and tie. Feh.

• Members

It was great meeting Kendrix, definitely made the event much more enjoyable for me. I like that he's a physicist, it makes me feel that even if I had been getting drunk the whole time, I could just say, "I spent Friday afternoon with my friend, he's a physicist, we were having some beers", and it sounds enlightening and educating. Definitely a good guy, all the best Ken.

The Emmerick event was nice, although I would have enjoyed a bit more live interaction and less video watching.

I only had thirty minutes on the floor of the AES, nothing really floored me, and I feel like I need to focus more on learning about making music than buying any more equipment. I could use the rig I have now to do quite a bit if I learn more about how to use if effectively.

Overall, a real good time.

• Members

Sorry I missed you, Ken. I slipped into the Geoff Emmerich session about 5 minutes late. Is that "remaking Sgt Pepper's" documentary available on DVD? Bryan Adams nailing his track in 1 take was certainly impressive. The Fray's drummer was very funny, talking about using tea towels on the drums (something like) "I've used tea towels on drum heads, but these are real British tea towels with the same thread count Ringo used.":D

If you like NYC temps in the mid 80s + humidity, try it in a suit and tie. Feh.

Mark,

Yeah-too bad we missed each other.

Apparently we live in parallel universes.

Perhaps we'll manage to connect back here in Rockchester at some point.

Are you going to the Dylan/Costello show tonight at RIT?

• Members

I had a great time at AES and in NYC in general, but I'm glad to be back. These shows take a lot out of we Weasel-types.

As mentioned above, got to hang out with forumites Kendrix, Mike Rivers, and Mark Z., as well as a brief hello to our pal Craig. Did a few industry event things... went to Avatar (formerly Hit Factory) on Friday night, then went downtown to tour Electric Lady. I've been to both before, but it's a neat experience eaqch time. At Avatar, I got to spend quite some time hanging out and chatting with Geoff Emerick, which is always a pleasure.

Went to the TEC Awards Saturday night, and really enjoyed Al Kooper's Les Paul Award (as well as Al's performance of "Season of the Witch" on B3 and vocals, with Anton Fig and Will Lee as his rhythm section).

Flew home yesterday and have tons of work to do, but I thought I'd at least say hi before jumping back onto the fray. :)

• Members

Mark,

Yeah-too bad we missed each other.

Apparently we live in parallel universes.

Perhaps we'll manage to connect back here in Rockchester at some point.

Are you going to the Dylan/Costello show tonight at RIT?

I love Elvis, but I'm not going tonight.

• Members

I basically saw half the show - Jon Chappell and I were there to do videos, so I did booths from row 700 on up, and he did booths from 600 on down. It was pretty hectic; I got footage for over 40 videos, so I spent most of my time staring into the viewfinder.

There weren't a whole lot of new products (not that it matters, AES is great fun anyway) so I tried to get more interviews. Got some great footage with Paul White of Sound on Sound mag and Suzanne Ciani, for example.

I still love trade shows after all these years :) Good to be home, though.

Archived