Poll: New look for my site vs. current look

Ani

• Members

I need a change....

Some things are within our power to change, while other things tend to change us...

My site is something I can do whatever I want with... and I NEEDED TO VENT with all the stress from the long hours and the demand of the job...

I designed all of the graphics myself and did all of the web design on this. I'm interested in opinions as to how it looks as opposed to the old version. I have only revamped the home page, but if it's appealing, I'll redo the whole site. I'm also interested in knowing how the page loads in different browsers and how it looks centered/speed... and etc...

The current look of the site is located at http://musicbizbuzz.net

The new image is located temporarily at http://musicbizbuzz.net/index.new.look.html

...and a bit deeper red in the bkg.... http://musicbizbuzz.net/index.new.look.2.html

• Members

Yeah... it clearly doesn't render properly in Firefox 2.

Also... things blink in Firefox. It's my feeling that nothing should blink. In IE 7 (with my settings) nothing blinks and the columns of text look like they're where they're supposed to be.

For my taste, all that red is a bit oppressive. (And, mind you, I have a site with a red background that has been criticized for being too red, too. So I may be more red-tolerant than some.)

My guess on the text columns -- without looking at the code -- is that you have a problem in a layout table where there are some TD's missing or maybe a column merge gone wrong, that kind of thing.

Get some sleep and tackle it in the morning.

• Members

Thanks Blue,

You caught my other post before I deleted it. Thought I had the bug fixed, because it came up fine a few times thereafter. Then it started whacking out in FF again. The Mozilla has always blinked and text links that I have that say Amazon... don't know if they have crawlers that detect the links or what, but it's only on the Amazon links that the blinking occurs; afaik.

I've been hammered on about the reds before, but hey, what can I say... I'm passionate about what I do. ;)

I used to have red and black contemporary designs in my living room until my brother told me that my home was depressing... said I had the colors of death and blood in my living space. :mad: I now have earth tone... bleh... and in less that six months time I am sick of them already. I started to toss a couple of paintings I bought out and my daughter freaked out... I find comfort in vibrant colors. Some folks get wired by it.

• Members

The blinking stuff is distracting. With the amount of links you have up, it's enough to have to sort through without banners and blinkys everywhere. Keep it simple.

The red gives it a claustrophobic David Lynch feel.

I have not done anything to create the blinkies; those are strictly a browser feature, at least to my knowledge that's what it appears to be. IE does not do the blinky stuff with the links to Amazon. I'm thinking that it might be a special deal that Amazon and Mozilla worked out. I don't like it either, but I do have an affiliate program with Amazon and I use their provided script if I want credit for sales from the site.

• Members

I'm not necessarily a fan of a hell of a lot of red either.

However, "index.new.look.html" looks the best and renders fine in Firefox and IE6 running on Linux while "new look2 does not render well in Firefox.

The original page tries to open a pop-up window in IE6 running on Linux and locks up so I have to ctl/alt/esc out of it. It seems to render fine but does blink the Amazon link.

• Members

http://musicbizbuzz.net/index.new.look.html

The blinkies are gone on this one and the columns line up in FF.

The blinking in the other files came primarily from blink tags -- which apparently are not supported in IE. Heck, I didn't even know such a thing existed, or had forgotten. Although it seems like one of those early "cool" ideas the early web committees had...

Archived