Take the Cable Challenge

Billster

• Members

A long and growing longer thread on this over at GearSlutz...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/148225-like-super-high-end-cable-got-good-ears-make-million-usd.html

Believe it or not, there are more than a couple posters there who seem to think they could win the money -- but they mostly seem to feel that "the fix must be in"...

Mostly the same type who think that phase inversion null testing doesn't "tell the whole story."

Pretty friggin' funny.

• Members

It reminds me of the legend or Eric Johnson and the stompbox batteries, where supposedly he could hear the difference between types of batteries - not dead/dying vs. fresh, but Eveready vs. Duracell.

Ummm, Eric, can we have a talk...

• Members

I wouldn't be too amazingly shocked (depending on the circuit) if there was some difference between Eveready and Duracell...STD Eveready are Carbon-Zinc (they do make an alkaline these days) and Duracell are Alkaline

They use different electrode chemistry...not only does the alkaline hold more energy (like 150%-200% of a carbon-zinc), but the voltage/load curves are gonna be different

• Members

There is certainly more room for someone being able to hear the diff between two batteries.

(And, of course, we don't know if he did double blind testing to see if he could consistently identify which was which or even tell them apart consistently.)

But differences in voltage output will certainly -- if they're broad enough -- change the overdrive characteristics of something like a distortion pedal.

That said... I got a buck sez he can't. :D

• Members

Check out Ananlogman's battery comparison in a fuzz pedal:

"Battery comparison: two identical NKT 275 pedals. Starts with Alkaline Duracell (twice), Cheap General Purpose type (twice) then Duracell (twice again) on a Les Paul. Listen to the high end change."

http://www.mikepiera.com/samples/duracell2.mp3

Taken from this page about half way down:

http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

• Members

Sorry if this is unrelated but it was this 1million dollar story I read on another forum that coincidentally occured the same time I was looking for whether or not using guitar cables for connecting an amp to a speaker cabinet was bad. I did find DIY audiophiles saying 14 gage lamp cord was as good as some higher end speaker cables. Can that same speaker cable be used if it is soldered to 1/4" plugs? I too was once misled down the "if it costs more it must be better" road, but now I know better.

• Members
It reminds me of the legend or Eric Johnson and the stompbox batteries, where supposedly he could hear the difference between types of batteries - not dead/dying vs. fresh, but Eveready vs. Duracell.

Ummm, Eric, can we have a talk...

Guess you don't believe people can hear the difference between germanium and silicon transistors, either...

• Members

Actually, it's been my experience with guitar and mic cords that the solder joints and cleanliness of the connectors makes more difference than any good quality cable.

As far as speaker wire is concerned, the gauge is way more important than anything else depending on the ohm load and how long your cable needs to be.

• Members

No blasting intended, Billster.

People who claim to hear a difference have taken stick in the past and I just wanted to show that there is a difference.

If the difference is too subtle to bother you that's fine but it is a big deal to some. Perhaps I spend too much time fussing with guitar tones!

• Members

another thing is the rooms where people listen to stuff. I have seen studios with apogee converters and adam monitors, they claim to have nothing but the truth... and guess what, the room is completly untreated... you cant have the truth in a untreated room no matter how good your equipment is.

• Members

another thing is the rooms where people listen to stuff. I have seen studios with apogee converters and adam monitors, they claim to have nothing but the truth... and guess what, the room is completly untreated... you cant have the truth in a untreated room no matter how good your equipment is.

Related to my point above. These $7000 cables appear to be aimed at the home audiophile (not pro studios). I wonder how many of these audiophiles have had their listening area treated, or if they buy $6000 graphic equalizers to compensate for the standing waves, just so they can brag about the equalizer.:freak:

• Members

the subtle differences you hear practicing at home are out the window at stage volume.

Not for me. The difference in treble response and speed of attack of the note really affect my interaction with the instrument and can make the difference between me playing well and not.

This is actually maginified at stage volume.

• Members

Not for me. The difference in treble response and speed of attack of the note really affect my interaction with the instrument and can make the difference between me playing well and not.

This is actually maginified at stage volume.

That's cool, and I've experienced the "comfort level affects playing" syndrome. But from the other side of the board, and in the audience, the difference is negligible. I know this from personal experience - listening to some of my closest (obsessive) friends with whom I am familiar with the complex tone tinkering they do, even knowing when they step on the pedals, it gets lost to the audience.

But if such stuff enables your mojo go for it. I try to find other methods that won't affect me if I don't have my exact equipment on hand.

Archived