No announcement yet.

Take the Cable Challenge

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take the Cable Challenge

James Randi (a.k.a. the Amazing Randi) offers $1,000,000. reward to prove $7000 speaker cables are better.

Monster Cable
    Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

A long and growing longer thread on this over at GearSlutz...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/148225-like-super-high-end-cable-got-good-ears-make-million-usd.html

Believe it or not, there are more than a couple posters there who seem to think they could win the money -- but they mostly seem to feel that "the fix must be in"...

Mostly the same type who think that phase inversion null testing doesn't "tell the whole story."

Pretty friggin' funny.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

It reminds me of the legend or Eric Johnson and the stompbox batteries, where supposedly he could hear the difference between types of batteries - not dead/dying vs. fresh, but Eveready vs. Duracell.

Ummm, Eric, can we have a talk...
      Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

I wouldn't be too amazingly shocked (depending on the circuit) if there was some difference between Eveready and Duracell...STD Eveready are Carbon-Zinc (they do make an alkaline these days) and Duracell are Alkaline

They use different electrode chemistry...not only does the alkaline hold more energy (like 150%-200% of a carbon-zinc), but the voltage/load curves are gonna be different

Comment

There is certainly more room for someone being able to hear the diff between two batteries.

(And, of course, we don't know if he did double blind testing to see if he could consistently identify which was which or even tell them apart consistently.)

But differences in voltage output will certainly -- if they're broad enough -- change the overdrive characteristics of something like a distortion pedal.

That said... I got a buck sez he can't.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

So will differences in the batterys' source impedance - - it would affect the sound of transients.

Comment

I like NOS RCA batteries

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Native American Style Flute Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins
              My Eclectic YouTube Channel

Comment

Has James Randi become Consumer Reports?
                Super 8

In memory of our fellow drummer and forum friend, Cheeseadiddle-Nov 2008

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
                -- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

James Randi (a.k.a. the Amazing Randi) offers $1,000,000. reward to prove $7000 speaker cables are better.

The cables

The review

Hyperbole in the audiophile world? Never!

$80 for a Monster cable? Wow, that's damn cheap!
                  Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

Check out Ananlogman's battery comparison in a fuzz pedal:

"Battery comparison: two identical NKT 275 pedals. Starts with Alkaline Duracell (twice), Cheap General Purpose type (twice) then Duracell (twice again) on a Les Paul. Listen to the high end change."

http://www.mikepiera.com/samples/duracell2.mp3

Taken from this page about half way down:

http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm
                    www.fabiansmith.com

Comment

Sorry if this is unrelated but it was this 1million dollar story I read on another forum that coincidentally occured the same time I was looking for whether or not using guitar cables for connecting an amp to a speaker cabinet was bad. I did find DIY audiophiles saying 14 gage lamp cord was as good as some higher end speaker cables. Can that same speaker cable be used if it is soldered to 1/4" plugs? I too was once misled down the "if it costs more it must be better" road, but now I know better.

Comment

It reminds me of the legend or Eric Johnson and the stompbox batteries, where supposedly he could hear the difference between types of batteries - not dead/dying vs. fresh, but Eveready vs. Duracell.

Ummm, Eric, can we have a talk...
                        Guess you don't believe people can hear the difference between germanium and silicon transistors, either...

Comment

Actually, it's been my experience with guitar and mic cords that the solder joints and cleanliness of the connectors makes more difference than any good quality cable.

As far as speaker wire is concerned, the gauge is way more important than anything else depending on the ohm load and how long your cable needs to be.
                          -David

(the artist formally known as DC before the move to HC)

Comment

Guess you don't believe people can hear the difference between germanium and silicon transistors, either...

Never said that.
                            Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

No blasting intended, Billster.

People who claim to hear a difference have taken stick in the past and I just wanted to show that there is a difference.

If the difference is too subtle to bother you that's fine but it is a big deal to some. Perhaps I spend too much time fussing with guitar tones!
                              www.fabiansmith.com

Comment

• Working...
                                X