IP address number

Paully

• Members

Thanks guys, but no luck so far.

Actually it'd be good to know the computer and the internet numbers. Never knew there were 2.

I tried opening ipconfig(actuallt searched out the folder and directclicked), but it just flashed open then disappeared. Same from the 'run' line.

I also tried whatismyipaddress.com, but came up empty. My proxy server reported "IP unknown".

At this point, I need beer :cry::D ! GOD, I hate f**king computers.

Thanks again, Paul

• Members

It will depend on how you are set up. I fyo have just a single computer connected directly to your ISP, you will have an address provided by your ISP and it'll be the same address that people in the outside world see generally.

If you have a router in your network and all of your computers connect to it, then you have a local network of your own, so your computer has a local address that is not seen by the outside world. Your router has a single address that is gotten from your ISP. It uses 'network address translation', which effectively makes all the computers inside your local network look like a single computer to your ISP (so you only need one public address.)

Local network addresses are 'non-routable' addresses, meaning that they are not visible outside of the local network. They will be 168.192.x.x or 10.10.x.x generally. These are special blocks of addresses reserved for ths type of purpose.

If you open a command prompt and run ipconfig, as indicated above, you will get your IP address info, but only your local network info if you are behind a router. Your router is the one with the public address, so use the web interface on the router to see what address has been assigned to your router.

• Members

internal non-routable addresses are:

10.x.x.x 24bit

172.16.x.x 20bit

192.168.x.x 16bit

you can also open network connections, right click your LAN [or wireless] adapter, select status... then support tab. it will give your IP address for your machine, your gateway address [router], click the details button and it will give you your DNS address.

• Members

Sounds like you've found your IP address....but now that you've located it - what are you planning to do with it? (If you didn't know it before - your system may well have been configured to use DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) to automatically assign it an address - which means that if you introduce other other devices (i.e., other computers, network connected printers, etc.) the address your current machine could change under the right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it...) set of circumstances.

Knowing why you needed to know your IP address might get you some good follow-up advice from the forum.

• Members

Oops, I just noticed I said 168.192.x.x above. Dislexia family in the runs.

you know how many times i accidentally type that when setting up devices on networks [usually any devices default is on the 192.168.x.x ip]? im always llike DOH!

• Members

Hi all, and thanks for the interest and help. Here's the deal. I know nothing about IPs, but am thinking about signing up for, and occasionally using a proxy other than AOL; one that uses encryption http://regmagic.com/ . I was looking at the signup protocol, and apparently they need my current IP number and proxy.

I don't have a LAN setup as such, just a switcher(no router) that connects 3 computers via Ether. Only one can connect to the modem at a time. No periferal sharing(printers, etc.). Phil gave me what I assume is the IP number that the world sees. Beyond getting the new service working, I really don't need to know the IP address, but it would be nice to know. I'm learning.

I finally found the info under Netwoork Connections. That showed 3 different numbers, none of which is the same as Phil's. In all fairness, I may have been on a different computer when he checked. I'm guessing the 1st number is the one I need. The 3 numbers are:

Address Type: assigned by DHCP

1) IP #

2) Subnet Mask #

3) Default Gateway #

Now I understand that glassy-eyed appearance when I tried to explain baseball to my wife. Reminds me of that horrible first week in highschool algebra.

Thanks again for putting up with me.

Best, Paul

• Members

I just made some changes to my Internet provider and one of the things I now have is a "Static IP Address." Apparantly I'm supposed to be able to access my computer from any other computer, although I've never tried and don't have a clue about how to do it. Anybody have a handle on that ???

Russ

Nashville

• Members

usually you are given two DNS by your ISP. that is probably what you are seeing with the 3rd being your machine. having only a switch, you REALLY need to assign static IPs to those machines since you have no DHCP server giving out IP's locally, however a router will afford you greater security out to the internet, you can still use the switch but then all 3 machines will have simultanious access.

• Members

static IP only make that IP they assign you static, you can have a dynamic IP and still access your computer via RDC anywhere provide you set it up to do so. places like dyndns.com can resolve your IP to a domain name by you updating it [or havign the router set up to do so if it has that capability. the biggest thing is opening up your port fowarding if you use a router to the computer you want to access over what port [3389 is the standard one] so it would be like 24.176.45.33:3389 in your RDC.

if you pick up a router with VPN access you then have a secure encrypted tunnel to access your computer over. that is a far better solution and not simply working on your computer with no file transfer like using RDC [remote desktop connection] and needed if you want to access your folders remotely.

• Members

Thanks guys, but no luck so far.

Actually it'd be good to know the computer and the internet numbers. Never knew there were 2.

I tried opening ipconfig(actuallt searched out the folder and directclicked), but it just flashed open then disappeared. Same from the 'run' line.

I also tried whatismyipaddress.com, but came up empty. My proxy server reported "IP unknown".

At this point, I need beer
:cry::D
! GOD, I hate f**king computers.

Thanks again, Paul

You were on the right track...

Go to the Run field and type "cmd" (without the quotes).

That will open a command window with what looks just like an old DOS command prompt. From there you can type the name of command line (DOS-style, if you will) programs that will run, printing their results in text mode into that window. Just type "ipconfig" at the prompt.

To close the window, type "exit." (All without quotes, of course.)

BUT... ipconfig is not going to tell you what you're looking for if, for instance, you're behind a router -- in which case you'll simply get your local IP number on your own network.

But you can get the IP number the 'net knows you by (at any one time -- since many of us do NOT have static IP numbers assigned by our various broadband providers -- and those on dialup will tend to get a different IP every time, for the most part.

One way to do that is to type "tracert" (w/o quotes) in the command window, followed by a domain name (I typically use yahoo.com because they're usually there). The first IP numbe in the numbered list, I believe, will be the IP number the net knows you by (at this point in time).

• Members

Ya, I finally got there (ipconfig/all), but had to call tech support at Cablevision. 'cmd' by itself simply takes you to a DOS prompt. I should have realized that. The '/all' extention to the executable provides details. He also checked my IP number on his end and came up with the identical numbers.

Using Control Panel> Network Connections> Local Area Connections>(right click)>Status doesn't give a full report, but does provide the important numbers. AAR, think I'm set. If anyone has hand-on experience with a proxy that uses encrypton like http://regmagic.com/ , I'd love to hear back. Still just shopping.

Thanks guys, Paul

• Members

Forgive me for jumping in, since I really don't know much about this topic...let alone about VPNs. I thought only corporations used them!

Anyway, what about Tor? It's a well known implementation that's for free...and coupled with Privoxy as well, it's a great package overall. AFAIK which ain't much!

Here's a link to Tor.

I think Privoxy is bundled with Tor in their downloads. Just read through their docs and see if it's for you. You don't have to fiddle with Privoxy if you don't want to, just use their defaults.

And, Firefox has an extension that works in conjunction with Tor, so you can toggle it on and off.

That's all I know about this topic. Hope that helps...

Do read their warnings on making sure that Tor will work. It's a simplified version, you can read their docs for more information.

Here's another link to some more documentation.

And also, this is where it gets more confusing, at least for me, it doesn't necessarily guarantee full "protection", so I suppose for communications, you could use PGP. I really don't know much about it, so hopefully someone else can jump in on this part. (I think it's due to different protocols, but I don't know).

Also, PGP has gone commerical, but I think there are the older versions around that are freeware, and so on. The only thing is that I have no clue if it can still be a viable option or not. Here's a wiki article on it. You can scroll downwards to check out their links.

btw, if anyone knows that my information is wrong, PLEASE do correct it..

And please take everything I said with a HUGE grain of salt. This is just from my surfing, plus a dumb college class from eons ago. Ain't Internet the greatest time waster ever????? :D

• Members

Using Control Panel> Network Connections> Local Area Connections>(right click)>Status doesn't give a full report, but does provide the important numbers. AAR, think I'm set. If anyone has hand-on experience with a proxy that uses encrypton like
, I'd love to hear back. Still just shopping.

Thanks guys, Paul

you have to click the details button.

i think i know why you are looking for an encrypted proxy but im not saying why here or giving that information out.

• Members

VPNs are used to create encrypted tunnels between two endpoints. corporations use them for branch offices and remote workers to access things internally [servers, etc]. i use them to troubleshoot networks i manage off location... makes my life a lot easier, especially when i get that 8am wake up call something isnt right and i drag my ass to my desk and fix it and go back to bed. there is becoming less and less i need to manage onsite. basically just hardware issues.

Archived