How do you think?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you think?

Hmm?
    Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Hmm?

Sometimes..............any way I can, if I can.

Comment

I think, therefore, I am... or used to be.

Comment

I often think the brain is an apparatus with which I think I think.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This of course is true only of certain persons. Where I, after careful observation, think that the brain is used to store the tv news from yesterday.

Comment

Thinking is for me mostly a sort of going quiet and waiting for things to emerge from the unfathomable underground lake of unconsciousness.

Then, while I can still remember the stuff that drifts up to the surface, I can sort them, organize them, modify them somewhat, and then make a conclusion or statement or something like that.

At which time it all drops slowly back down into the dark lake, drifting out of view gradually until called forth again at some future date, maybe.....

Totally at the mercy of memory it seems to me.

Thinking well, or being smart, then I suppose is quick and accurate recall combined with fast and logical manipulation of recalled stuff.

Plus a factor I guess I would call "focus". Now that's a hard one for most of us...

nat whilk ii

Comment

In the grand scheme of things, our job at present, is to learn to control our thoughts.
            It seems to me, society today invents as many ways as possible to avoid that responsibility.
            Those that are aware of it will survive, the rest will perish, and evolution will move forward.
            Not worth worrying about really.

Comment

I work for Uncle Sam. I don't get paid to think. HAHAHA
              My Space

Comment

I think a lot. All of the time. When I'm out on one of my long walks, I'm always trying to figure out life's mysteries. I don't know how much confidence I place in my conclusions though. Maybe that's a good thing. I hate people who think they know everything. Yet, you still ought to arrive at some conclusions with at least some amount of certainty. Right?

In the grand scheme of things, our job at present, is to learn to control our thoughts.
                It seems to me, society today invents as many ways as possible to avoid that responsibility.

They want you to think. They just want you to think what they think.
                Super 8

In memory of our fellow drummer and forum friend, Cheeseadiddle-Nov 2008

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
                -- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think a lot. All of the time. When I'm out on one of my long walks, I'm always trying to figure out life's mysteries. I don't know how much confidence I place in my conclusions though. Maybe that's a good thing. I hate people who think they know everything. Yet, you still ought to arrive at some conclusions with at least some amount of certainty. Right?

They want you to think. They just want you to think what they think.

Who is "they"?

Comment

Oh, you know who "they" are. I could name names, but the internet has ears.
                    Super 8

In memory of our fellow drummer and forum friend, Cheeseadiddle-Nov 2008

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
                    -- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Everyone else is they.

Rule 1 about thinking and opinions: absolute certainty about anything is iffy, but on the other hand it's the believers that actually start things, change things, get things done, and rule the future.

A humble, open-minded believer is the goal. I think it's possible but incredibly difficult.

nat whilk ii

Comment

I think, therefore, I am... or used to be.

Descarte'd.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I work for Uncle Sam. I don't get paid to think. HAHAHA

If Uncle Sam wanted you to think, he would have issued you a brain.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Well, often my eyes move up and slightly to the right, which must be where my processor is located.

Sometimes I fiddle with my facial hair.

If my train of thought were to be mapped, it would be the equivalent of seeing a map of a trip from, say, Seattle to Los Angeles. The trail would go from Seattle to Olympia, disappear for a moment, appear in Oslo, do a few spins around town, jump back to the US on I-5, down to Portland, hang out for a bit, do some meandering, take a detour over to Denver, back to I-5, transport to Alpha Centauri to grab a sandwich, transport back to Mexico City, then it's just a hop, skip and a jump to LA.

I get there the same as others, it just takes me a little longer, and I see more interesting sights along the way.