No announcement yet.

OT: Shower conservation question

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Shower conservation question

I have one of those enormo-pan showerheads. It's luxurious. I love it. And I don't want to replace it.

But there's many times when I want less water to come out of it. Does anyone know of a way of getting a stem / shower arm (or whatever the pipe is that comes out of the wall and terminates at the showerhead) that has a flow adjustment valve so I can conserve on water? Thanks! I can't seem to find it by Googling, largely because I don't know exactly what it's called.
    Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Here ya go

Scroll halfway down the page to "Flow Control Valves"
    Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

I think you hit on it -- they call them valves.

But
      what you need for what you want is a more adjustable shower head, itself -- that allows you to not only control the water flow (your shower valves already do that) but actually narrow the overall shower head aperture -- unless you restrict the outflow at the head somehow, just reducing the pressure to the head will produce a wimpier output. What you need to do is either make the holes smaller or reduce the number of them so that the reduced water flow won't result in reduced pressure inside the head.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

I misread this thread title as being about shower conversation.

"Oh ****************, we're out of soap."

"Can you pass the shampoo?"

"Is this water getting colder, or is it just me?"

"Did you use this towel on the dog last weekend? You did wash it, right?"

Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

"Oh ****************, we're out of soap."

"Can you pass the shampoo?"

"Did you use this towel on the dog last weekend? You did wash it, right?"

Dude.

Me, too...

Let me guess: at least the last two were spoken by the distaff half of the duo.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

ditto, i dont even know why i clicked on it really.

Comment

"Can you lift the soap from the floor?"

Fixed !
              www.guslozada.com

Comment

Let me guess: at least the last two were spoken by the distaff half of the duo.

While they weren't direct quotes or anything, I'd imagine that would be the case.
                Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

ditto, i dont even know why i clicked on it really.

Because all my threads are fascinating. And even if they weren't, y'all would make it fascinating!

Okay, here's more shower conversation:

"Hey, stop standing in front and bogarting all the water!!"

"Aww, no, dropped the soap...again!!"
                  Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

I have one of those enormo-pan showerheads. It's luxurious. I love it. And I don't want to replace it.

In Los Angeles? The tree-huggers are gonna gitcha!
                    Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

If you want to use less water try showering with cold water. I had to awhile back for a couple of days because the hot water was out due to plumbing repairs in the building. Its amazing just how little water you really need for a shower.

Steve
                      War is over if you want it.
                      - John & Yoko -

Nothing fails like success.
                      - Alan Watts - (based on Samsara)

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
                      -Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, 1931-

Comment

If you want to use less water try showering with cold water. I had to awhile back for a couple of days because the hot water was out due to plumbing repairs in the building. Its amazing just how little water you really need for a shower.

Steve

Yeah, that would save on a LOT of water....but pass!!!

Comment

Why can't you just turn the water on and off valve down?
                          http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

That's what I used to do, but it doesn't work that way any longer. I have one handle now that controls hot/cold, and when I turn it on, it turns into full-blast in a hurry, and then you adjust whether you want hot/cold. The miniscule "window of opportunity" where you can adjust the flow is at the very bottom end of the cold water, and I can't hang with that, largely because it's uncomfortable, and largely because I have a bad back, and heating it in the morning before stretching is virtually essential.

Comment

That's what I used to do, but it doesn't work that way any longer. I have one handle now that controls hot/cold, and when I turn it on, it turns into full-blast in a hurry, and then you adjust whether you want hot/cold. The miniscule "window of opportunity" where you can adjust the flow is at the very bottom end of the cold water, and I can't hang with that, largely because it's uncomfortable, and largely because I have a bad back, and heating it in the morning before stretching is virtually essential.

I see. Well, go to any plumbing department at a store and they should have a low-flow adapter that fits into the showr head. It's a little plastic thing that impedes the flow of water.

When I was on the road full time I used to carry wrenches and take the shower heads apart to remove those things so I could get decent showers for the week and not feel like three guys were pissing on me.

I always put them back when I left, though...
                              http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

Working...
                              X