Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Anderton

• Members

I just got a page proof of the article on recording Pink Floyd's "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" that will be in the December issue of EQ. It's freakin' fascinating. One thing I didn't know was that a 3-CD set of Piper (stereo, mono, and miscellaneous material - singles etc.) was released last year. I zipped over to Amazon.com as fast as my mouse could click and ordered one...if this thread is still alive when it comes, I'll post reactions.

Somehow Jeff Touzeau got Norman Smith to open up about the recordings, something I understand he hasn't really done up until now. It's so cool, especially because out of the thousands of albums and CDs that I have, I've probably played "Piper" more than any of them.

Cool beans.

• Members

Well, it is 40 years old, so you probably missed it the first time around. But it's considered a true classic, so it's the obligation of those who know about it to turn new generations on to a truly unique recording. Love it or hate it, there's been nothing like it before or since.

• Members

I remember going to EJ Korvette's in Paramus, NJ, just after I got into high school and saw Piper in the bin and thought...hmm...I wonder if it's psychedelic, and if it is, is it good? I had limited funds to buy albums that I was not familiar with at the time. My paper route did not pay much.

• Members

I remember going to EJ Korvette's in Paramus, NJ, just after I got into high school and saw Piper in the bin and thought...hmm...I wonder if it's psychedelic, and if it is, is it good? I had limited funds to buy albums that I was not familiar with at the time. My paper route did not pay much.

But at Korvette's you could always wait for the label sale!

Archived