I GOT A ZOOM H2!!!

elsongs

• Members

The FedEx lady dropped by and delivered a Zoom H2 digital recorder today!

PA080526.jpg

It's pretty cool. And incredibly light too! But still somewhat solid. Still learning the thing but it's pretty easy to use. It came with a 512MB SD card, which can record over 6 hours of MP3s or a little less than half an hour of .wav.

Here's a recording of me doing a little bit of Stevie Wonder's "Love's In Need of Love Today" on my upright piano with the Zoom H2 sitting on top, recording in MP3 mode (160mbps). No effects or editing:

http://www.elsongs.com/mp3/multimedia/STE-003.mp3

This is gonna work wonders (no pun intended) for my band rehearsals...NO MORE REAL-TIME ENCODING!!!! I just take out the SD card from H2 and pop it in my computer!

• Members

Sounds cool, you just need to sing louder or closer to the Zoom. I dig your singing and playing and bravery posting a casual knock off. Very good quality indeed.

I want one, but I want a replacement for my micro-cassette. In other words, I want a built in speaker just to listen back (not into cans when composing). Is there a business mini machine that's like the micro but digital?

• Members

Very nicely done. Maybe my favorite Stevie song, if picking one is possible. Definitely in the top 5.

I'm going to get an H2 or H4 for my oldest daughter as a practice tool. The price/performance on the H2 is very attractive. I might spring for the H4 because I found something useful in the 4 track feature, if this is possible: import a Jamey Aebersold track or other accompaniment, then she can record her practice over it on a separate track. Anyone know if you can import MP3 audio via USB, then play/record along with it?

• Members

I have the H4, Mark, and am not sure whether you can import tracks in four-0track mode.

My friend has the H2 and recorded my band's outdoor show the other night--sounded really crisp. I was pleasantly surprised. I think the H2 is more optimizied for field recording. It has different mic modes than the H4.

• CMS Author

Didn't know whether you might be mildly interested in this:

Huh? He loaded Reaper on to the H2 and now he can do editing on the run? What does this mean? Probably not what I'd like to think it means.

Reaper can be run from a mass storage device (like a USB memory thumb drive) so maybe what he did was installed a copy of Reaper on to a memory card in the H2, connects it to a computer, and uses Reaper to edit WAV files that are recorded on the H2's memory card.

I guess this means that you don't need your own computer (or a computer with a WAV editor installed) to edit audio away from home base. I guess there may be some very limited use for that, but if I thought I was going to have to edit audio in the field, I'd carry my own computer.

If he's figured out how to make Reaper run on the H2, that's pretty amazing. Next thing you know, someone will figure out how to run ProTools on an iPhone.

• Members

Huh? He loaded Reaper on to the H2 and now he can do editing on the run? What does this mean? Probably not what I'd like to think it means.

Reaper can be run from a mass storage device (like a USB memory thumb drive) so maybe what he did was installed a copy of Reaper on to a memory card in the H2, connects it to a computer, and uses Reaper to edit WAV files that are recorded on the H2's memory card.

I guess this means that you don't need your own computer (or a computer with a WAV editor installed) to edit audio away from home base. I guess there may be some very limited use for that, but if I thought I was going to have to edit audio in the field, I'd carry my own computer.

If he's figured out how to make Reaper run on the H2, that's pretty amazing. Next thing you know, someone will figure out how to run ProTools on an iPhone.

haha, that's what I thought too. That LCD screen is rather small for that! I just realized that Reaper is just there as an app to run on any PC which the H2 is USB'ed to.

• Members

I took an H4 to Japan for a recent documentary film project I'm working on and was really impressed with the quality of the ambiences I recorded with it. These little devices are great for capturing on-the-fly stuff and are perfect for recording you practicing. I've used an R-4 in the field before, but I really like how these are compact and can fit in your pocket. I had some issues with wind a couple of times, but finding a wind screen, usually the bag I was carrying, fixed it.

Plus for the price you really can't go wrong.

Chris

• Members

but finding a wind screen, usually the bag I was carrying, fixed it.

Plus for the price you really can't go wrong.

Chris

Mine shipped with a windscreen. Did yours not?

Anyway, it is is on the whole a pleasantly suprising unit. The onboard effects SUCK, but it is a Zoom, after all. And how many people use/need bad amp sims when doing field recording and rehearsal documentation?

I do find the 4-track useful as a sketch pad. But with a nicely outfitted DAW and some decent mics sitting downstairs, why would I ever sketchon the Zoom when I might just have one of those "magic moments" and capture something worth keeping? Good on vacation, though...

• Members

Mine shipped with a windscreen. Did yours not?

Anyway, it is is on the whole a pleasantly suprising unit. The onboard effects SUCK, but it is a Zoom, after all. And how many people use/need bad amp sims when doing field recording and rehearsal documentation?

I do find the 4-track useful as a sketch pad. But with a nicely outfitted DAW and some decent mics sitting downstairs, why would I ever sketchon the Zoom when I might just have one of those "magic moments" and capture something worth keeping? Good on vacation, though...

When you put the windscreen on the H2, it looks like it's wearing an afro wig.

• Members

It did, but there were a few times where the wind cut through the foam ball. Sorry I didn't explain myself more clearly. In those cases I needed extra protection (no funny jokes about that) so I tried to block the wind with my bag without getting in the way of the source sound.

It was funny, the looks I was getting when I would have the Zoom on a bench, wall, or laying on the ground. Sometimes I would walk a good distance away from it and people would kinda walk by the Zoom real slow, not knowing what it was. Then they'd see this American guy walk up and take it away.

-Chris

• Members

It was funny, the looks I was getting when I would have the Zoom on a bench, wall, or laying on the ground. Sometimes I would walk a good distance away from it and people would kinda walk by the Zoom real slow, not knowing what it was. Then they'd see this American guy walk up and take it away.

-Chris

CALL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!!!

Archived