Keyboard preset sounds and copyright

Brew

• Members

Does anyone know what the copyright position is regarding using instrument preset sounds in music you want to sell? I have a Casio WK3000 keyboard, and it has built-in drum presets and accompaniment patterns available. Can you use these rhythm or accompaniment patterns as part of a commercial piece of music? Who holds the copyright - Casio, the producers of the samples, or are they copyright free in the production of your own music? I plan to contact Casio about it, but I wonder if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

• Members

Well, I'm a strong advocate for copyright owners rights, but clearly any synth maker that puts presets into their synths understands that these could be used in commercial recordings, and I'm sure many presets have been used in many records over the years. So I just cannot imagine you have even a slight concern over that.

• Members

Not an attorney here, but some thoughts to throw in:

1. there's probably some language buried somewhere in the documentation that came with your synth. Or available upon request.

2. generally it's always been the case that preset sounds and any noise a synth can make is totally at your disposal for making commercial music and selling it. Loops and sequences included.

3. now if you wanted to take the synth sounds, sample them, and then sell the sounds as a sample collection, you might have a legal problem carrying out that idea. I remember situations like this with some homegrown sample collections that were going the rounds some years back, and there were reports of some of the sellers getting shut down or at least scared into desisting.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Does anyone know what the copyright position is regarding using instrument preset sounds in music you want to sell? I have a Casio WK3000 keyboard, and it has built-in drum presets and accompaniment patterns available. Can you use these rhythm or accompaniment patterns as part of a commercial piece of music? Who holds the copyright - Casio, the producers of the samples, or are they copyright free in the production of your own music? I plan to contact Casio about it, but I wonder if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

You're joking right?

Of course you can use any sound in the synth ,

and do anything you want with it.

That's what the sounds are there for ....

for you to make music with.....

2. generally it's always been the case that preset sounds and any noise a synth can make is totally at your disposal for making commercial music and selling it. Loops and sequences included.

For synths, sure. :) But regarding loops and sample libraries (software only), you really need to read the license agreement. Most of the time you'll be fine, but I've seen some that stipulate that you MUST credit them if you use their samples / loops on a CD you're going to offer for sale and other weird conditions placed on use for commercial purposes. And sometimes, you don't get to see the license agreement / terms until after you open the box, at which point, you can't return the product for a refund if you disagree... :mad: Fortunately, that has become pretty rare, but my advice is to check out the vendor's website for their license terms, or send them an email inquiring about them before throwing down your money.

• Members

By definition an instrument is a TOOL for making music. Any included sounds or loops originally packaged with the TOOL should be OK. They should be considered part of the TOOL. You may get in trouble however with loops that you add yourself from "TOP 40" hits though.

Dan

• Members

Thanks to everyone for replying. It might just be that I am being a canny Scot and making sure I have every base covered! I presumed that these presets were copyright free, but I have come across the odd article on the net telling you to take it back to the manufacturer if you're really unsure. On the Casio, accompaniment presets include drum, bass, guitar and keyboard elements that can be used to fill out certain chords, and that's one of the areas I was asking about; the other being drum patterns themselves. I appreciate the wisdom of you guys commenting on this; I guess sometimes you get a bit freaked out with these copyright scares. Still, I will contact Casio to see what they say. So far I haven't come across any copyright discussion in the Casio manual.

Archived