O.T. mac question

Jeff Leites

• Members

I'm confused :confused: I've been helping a neighbor with her computer (a mac notebook), basically setting up e-mail groups and folders for now. I'm a pc person, so I knew I was in trouble as soon as I pressed the Delete key, and it did a Backspace. But what I really don't understand is the DSL connnection. It plugs into her HP "all-in-one" type printer, and then there is a connection from the printer to a USB port on the note book. The only other connection to the notebook is a power chord. I don't see a DSL modem anywhere. How does this work?

• Members

There must be more than meets the eye there.

I'm beginnng to think so. Maybe there is something wireless going on that I don't know about. Her son-in-law set everything up for her, and she doesn't know anything. If there is a wireless router somewhere in the room, would it look the same as a pc router?

• Members

Sure. Many people use pc routers either wirelessly or cabled with Macs.

1. Find the DSL modem and whatever it is really connected to.

2. take a peek at the Network settings in the System Preferences. You will see the different connection "Locations" in the tab. That Location setting may give you a clue how the son in law set it up.

oh - and if it is an Apple Airport - it will be prettier than a PC router. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived