No announcement yet.

Buzz Feiten - does it work?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz Feiten - does it work?

Wondering. Drawbacks? I'm thinking of doing it to a 1967 SG.
    Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

I've got a Garrison G-40 acoustic with the Buzz Feiten system. I honestly can't tell any difference between it and my other guitars. I don't think I'd pay to have it retrofitted on anything else I own, especially a vintage guitar. Just my 2 cents...
    All there really is, is virtue and vice.

Comment

Dissenting opinion: it works amazingly well. Very rarely do guitars naturally have perfect intonation across all strings at all registers of the fretboard. Every guitar I've played that has been given the Buzzy thing is perfectly in tune, everywhere.

I've only heard it on electrics, so that's why my experience may be different than Alan's.
      Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

i've heard nothing but good about the guitars originally built with the Buzz System, but I haven't heard much about retrofitting?

A 67 SG????????? WOW
        aka "The Guitar Geezer" at MP.com
        "DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MIND:
        IT IS REALITY THAT IS MALFUNCTIONING"
        Robert Anton Wilson 1932-2007

Comment

Wondering. Drawbacks? I'm thinking of doing it to a 1967 SG.

If you care about resale value, I'd suggest not doing it to the 67 SG. Most people wanting a guitar like that would want it totally stock.
          IMHO, if you think you have intonation issues, try the Buzz Feiten on a cheap guitar first. Or, maybe just try one in a music store that already has it and see if you like it.

Comment

I have a Garrison GC-41-CE and it has made me a believer in the Buzz Feiten tuning system ! I play in DADGAD and other alt. tunings and the tuning is always right on , very sweet sound . When I play my other guitars that don't have the tuning system they sound kind of sour .

Comment

If you care about resale value, I'd suggest not doing it to the 67 SG. Most people wanting a guitar like that would want it totally stock.
              IMHO, if you think you have intonation issues, try the Buzz Feiten on a cheap guitar first. Or, maybe just try one in a music store that already has it and see if you like it.

Amplayer, first of all, thank you very much for pointing this out. I have no intentions of ever selling my guitar, and love playing it. I just want the notes to be more in tune! Also, my guitar is already not stock. I had to replace the tuning pegs and the pick-up switch, and I also have two non-stock pick-ups installed. It's awright, I don't have it for collecting, just playing.

But you bring up an interesting point. Can one "un-retrofit" a guitar that's had a BF (uh, that stands for Buzz Feiten) tuning system?
              Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

A 67 SG????????? WOW

I love my guitar. I bought this guitar when I was a kid for $300. I have several other guitars, some extremely nice, but despite this, I keep coming back to this one. I'm not saying it's the greatest guitar in the world, but when you develop a rapport with a guitar, it's such a cool thing.

Comment

I've never owned an SG, and every time I play one, I'm like, "Why don't I have one of these?"

The nice ones play like buttah. i'd say doing the Buzz retrofit is a great idea. Probably make you fall in love wth the axe all over again.
                  Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

Or, maybe just try one in a music store that already has it and see if you like it.

I found a store that has a guitar like this in stock. I'm going to play it after work!! Cool! Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Comment

There are ways to improve intonation besides the Buzz Feiten system... see if you can find a local repairman who can make you an intonated nut for your guitar.
                      Fuzzlabs
                      Access VirusB; Alesis D4, Nanosynth; Arp Axxe; Casio CZ1, CZ101, DG20, SK1; Clavia Micromodular, Nord 2R; Kawai K4R, K5M; Korg EX800, M1R, M3R, Poly6, X911, Z3; Oberheim M1000; Roland GR300, GR700, GR30, JP8000, MKS70, R5, TR505; Waldorf MicroQ; Yamaha FS1R, TG33

P90 Brigade: 59 Gibson Les Paul Jr., 64 SG Jr; Hamer Artist Korina

Comment

A guitar will never be "in tune" because no equal-temperament based music can be.

Many people think their guitars have intonation problems when they tune with harmonics and then play a chord across the neck and hear it's off -- then they may use relative tuning but "test" that with harmonics and, whaddya know? It's off.

That doesn't mean your guitar's intonation is wrong (necessarily).

It's a simple fact of life in the world created by equal temperament.

But if we were to try to revert to the just intonation dictated by Pythagorean harmony -- we'd quickly see why equal temperament developed: without the approximations used by equal temperament we would be unable to modulate as we're accustomed and while major and minor chords would sound sweeter/truer -- diminished chords and flat fifths would just about peel the paint.

Happily for us guitarists, the math of equal temperament works out so that fourths and fifths are the closest to the "true" harmonic relationship. So using harmonics comes close to working.

Take a look at the chart below, which shows how far off from the pure, Pythagorean harmonic interval our equal temperament intervals are:

Equal temperament (as measured in cents against the mathematically "correct" interval)

unison: same

minor second: 11.73 cents flat

major second: 3.91 flat

minor third: 15.64 flat

major third: 13.69 sharp

fourth: 1.96 sharp

dim fifth: 17.85 sharp

fifth: 1.96 flat

minor sixth 13.69 flat

sixth: 15.64 sharp

minor seventh: 3.91 sharp

major seventh: 11.73 sharp

octave: equal

Many of us slide players have no doubt noticed how far off the fret you have to play some notes to get them to sound right. Minor thirds are an obvious example that most blues players know well. Major sevenths are another that tend to come up less frequently for many of us but can really make a diff.

And of course, many of us who use open tunings have noticed that we often have to adjust away from a perfectly tuned open chord, depending on what kind of fretting we're going to be doing in the song.

With regard to the Feiten system... I'm agnostic. I've actually never played a guitar with it. I keep meaning to but it's been a long time since I've let myself step into a decent guitar store. Maybe I'll have to take the plastic out of my wallet and make the trek. I actually set out to do that once but none of the local good shops had one in stock at the time.

Clearly a lot of people swear by it.

They have this info page on "how it works" -- but the details (though patented) are not revealed: http://www.buzzfeiten.com/howitworks/howitworks.htm

Beats me... I'll have to play one before I can get a sense of how it all works out.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

aka "The Guitar Geezer" at MP.com
                          "DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MIND:
                          IT IS REALITY THAT IS MALFUNCTIONING"
                          Robert Anton Wilson 1932-2007

Comment

There are ways to improve intonation besides the Buzz Feiten system... see if you can find a local repairman who can make you an intonated nut for your guitar.

That local repairman -- with the expertise to do a good job -- may be a lot easier to find in your home town of Austin, TX, than it is in, say, Bumfonk, Idaho.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

I've got perfect pitch, and I'm pretty sensitive to intonation issues... I absolutely hate having guitars out of tune, and it can be a real PITA when you're playing in D and have everything sounding sweet... until the song modulates down to C and it's like ARRRGH!!!

The only guitar in my collection that doesn't make me eventually cringe under those circumstances is my 1995 Am Std Strat. It has a Buzz Feiten tuning system. As far as what I think of the BFTS, you do the math and figure it out.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                              X