Top 10 ways a musician can help the environment.

• Members

Some comments on the comments:

"4. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs."

Most fluorescents can't be dimmed and most studios keep their lights dimmed down quite a bit, so I don't think this is applicable to most studos.

Actually, the real reason why studios don't use fluorescent lighting is because of the electrical noise they generate. That's also why they don't use cheap dimmers - you have to install heavy-duty, properly grounded ones that don't put noise back into the wiring.

LED lighting might be a good option though...

Put your heaters and/or air conditioners on timers (check that the timer can handle the AC power load) so that they are not used when no one is in the studio.

This works only if you don't leave your stuff on 24/7. You don't want your gear to get overheated & fail (and thus end up in the landfill...).

Regarding that last point: don't throw your old electronics in the garbage. They usually contain significant amounts of toxic chemicals. Instead, seek out proper electronics disposal. Sometimes this costs money (so you're better off finding a group to go in, or stashing your junk until it's cost-effective to ditch it all at once), but more & more people are holding events to collect this stuff & dispose of it properly. Some computer shops, especially, will take your old equipment & dispose of it with a purchase.

• Members

I have heard that power supply and battery charger transformers use power even when not used or connected. (can anyone verify this?) Put all of these devices on power strips and turn the strips off when not in use.

bumblebee-small.jpg

Yes the wall wart transformers do use some power even when not in use , just lay a hand on one and it will be warm from soaking up the AC .

• Members

I have CFLs here too, but I'm not completely converted. The ones we've had don't last a whole lot longer than the incandescent bulbs we use. Certainly not 10x, mostly not even 2x as long.

Plus, in looking at them a bit closer, I'm concerned that they contain mercury & thus must be "disposed of"...there's a question as to whether their use offsets the mercury generated by power generation, but surely the mercury in the bulbs is mostly going into the dump. Most people won't take the time (or even have any idea of the need) to make a special effort to dispose of their old CFL bulbs. :(

• Members

I have CFLs here too, but I'm not completely converted. The ones we've had don't last a whole lot longer than the incandescent bulbs we use. Certainly not 10x, mostly not even 2x as long.

Interesting, what type are you using? Mine certainly do last a lot longer. I have never once replaced the ones in my dimmer torchieres, and they're in the two most used rooms of the house. And I've had them at least 5 years.

Plus, in looking at them a bit closer, I'm concerned that they contain mercury & thus must be "disposed of"...there's a question as to whether their use offsets the mercury generated by power generation,

Considering how much less power they use, I think the mercury offset is worth it. Plus mercury CAN be recycled, although you're right, a lot of people don't know yet that they need to recycle it. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

You may recall that my band was hired to do a jingle recently for a radio ad campaign about mercury disposal awareness:

http://keepmercuryfromrising.org

You can hear our jingle here:

http://keepmercuryfromrising.org/qt/Mercury_Rising_Radio_Final.mp3

:lol:

• Members

Shameless self-promotion!! :eek::eek::D

I've wondered, actually, if it might have something to do with the 1940s-vintage electrical in our old house...still, it's not practical for me to re-wire the joint so i can use CFLs (although I wish I could do it for other reasons...).

CFLs are OK, but I'd like to see some better solutions. They're only a partial solution to lighting, I'm afraid. That said, I do use them in the basement & they seem to do great down there. :idea:

• Members

CFL smiley... LOL... :lol: Oh yeah, old/crappy wiring definitely effects CFL life. I tried putting a CFL bulb in the light over my basement stairs, because the circuit there seems to kill incandescent bulbs within a short time. But it kills CFL's just as fast. :mad: I need to have that circuit and a couple of others rewired anyway, there are a few that are wonky and cause ground loops and such.

I agree, CFL's are only one solution, right now it's the best available. LED's have come a long way and are still advancing fast; I think that'll be another great solution before long.

• Members

I seem to recall that there are two types of CFL bulbs, designed for base-up or base-down installations.

Archived