What Staples Singers release completely rules?

UstadKhanAli

• Members

I've always liked the Staples Singers. But my friend was playing an early Staples Singers release from the late '50s/early '60s. It's kinda lo-fi, has deep tremolo guitars, amazing vocals (including a monster version of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" as well as "Uncloudy Day"), and has minimal drums and seemingly no bass. Wow. It really gets under my skin fast. So deep, so beautiful, super real and emotional. And those voices!!

And so it got me to wondering...what Staples Singers releases do you like? What do you recommend?

• Members

Pops Staples was a great idiosyncratic guitar player. The crossover records don't reveal all of that.

You can get a little bit of the feel here and see his signature thumbpick:

I'm not sure how much he liked playing with bands.

I remember Chicago TV appearances when I was a kid and it was just Pops and the family, no backup. Churchy and intimate but very edgy.

• Members

Ooooh my GAWD,

They're all sooooooooooo great.

The last couple Mavis Staples albums have been pretty refreshing too.

But I'd have to say my all time fav Staples Singers song would have to be the Bob Dylan song "Gotta Serve Somebody." The version I have was on a House of Blues tribute to Bob Dylan and I'd recorded one of the other Artists on the CD. I was totally W O W E D when I heard the Staples Singers.

I actually got to record the Staples Singers while Pops was still alive. It was a duet with Marty Stuart on the old 60's song "The Weight" for the Don Was Produced "Country Rhythm and Blues" project. I recorded them LIVE at Universal Ampiteater on the Westwood One truck in 1993.

Oh man they got sooooo many wonderful songs though, so does Mavis.

What's your fav ???

Russ

Nashville

• Moderators

Respect Yourself, I'll Take You There, and don't forget Mavis' two new records. They're marvelous.

:thu:

I remember watching Pops and the girls on TV as a kid. I thought, "What's the old geezer trying to jam on guitar for...?" then completely doing a 180 after 10 seconds of music. I was mid 60's suburbanite kid digging the Monkees. But the Staples nailed me. Gladys too, but that's a different thread. I've loved them ever since I've heard them. I love when Pops steps up to sing a few lines too.

• Members

I actually got to record the Staples Singers while Pops was still alive. It was a duet with Marty Stuart on the old 60's song "The Weight" for the Don Was Produced "Country Rhythm and Blues" project.

Did you know that the Tele that Pops played when they did "The Weight" with The Band is at the Tennessee State Museum now (along with another one of Pop's guitars)? The girls gave them to Marty Stewart, and they're part of his exhibit.

• Members

What's your fav ???

Russ

Nashville

Well, my favorite is the only one I have so far, "Uncloudy Day/Will the Circle Be Unbroken", which is a CD release of the LP "The Legendary Staples Singers".

Are you or anyone here familiar with any early releases? Anything on the Nashboro label? Wow, the release I have is so emotionally potent, with beautiful harmonies like the kind that can only exist when people are singing together in a room and not auto-tuned. I mean, just gorgeous stuff with minimal instrumentation, just a tremolo guitar and the occasional sparse drumming. But oh, man, those vocals!!!

• Members

I actually got to record the Staples Singers while Pops was still alive. It was a duet with Marty Stuart on the old 60's song "The Weight" for the Don Was Produced "Country Rhythm and Blues" project. I recorded them LIVE at Universal Ampiteater on the Westwood One truck in 1993.

Can you tell us about the recording? What was it like? How did they sing? How were they to work with? Did they all sing together? How was the creative process?

• Members

I remember Chicago TV appearances when I was a kid and it was just Pops and the family, no backup. Churchy and intimate but very edgy.

i do as well...they were regular guests on "Jubilee Showcase" if iirc...got to see them at Blues Fest in Chicago, Pops started out the show with a solo modal blues number, then Mayor Washington came out and gave him the key to the city...one of the best shows i've seen

:thu:

here's some info: http://www.chipublib.org/001hwlc/jubilee/jubilee.html

• Members

Hey Dave,

Where is the Tennessee State Museum ??? No I didn't know about that, but it sounds like something I'd like to check out. What else do they have out there??? Hey good to finally meet you while I dropped in on your session to pick up a Telefunkin 251, we'll have to get together sometime I'm a Texican too :wave:

Ken,

My gig with them was LIVE, they were on stage at the Universal Ampitheater in LA ... I was outside in the remote truck. What a night, I got to record E V E R Y B O D Y that night !!!! Hey PM me with your e-mail, I took some pictures of Whale Sharks I want to send you !!!!!

Oh ... also check out "I'll Take You There" HUGE HIT for The Staples Singers

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Hey Dave,

Where is the Tennessee State Museum ??? No I didn't know about that, but it sounds like something I'd like to check out. What else do they have out there??? Hey good to finally meet you while I dropped in on your session to pick up a Telefunkin 251, we'll have to get together sometime I'm a Texican too
:wave:

The Tennessee State Museum is in the basement (more or less) of TPAC, at 505 Deaderick Street. The exhibit that's there right now (through November, I think) is "Sparkle and Twang"; essentially, it's part of Mary Stewart's collection of memorabilia. Here's a link to a bit more information: http://www.tnmuseum.org/information/news_sparkleandtwang_stuart.htm

Did I mention that admission is free? :)

I'm usually around - let's get together for coffee or something...

Archived