Apple to kill hacked iPhones

alphajerk

• Members

I hear ya, it ain't the first time they've done the update-to-protect their vertical

remember when real opened fairplay and Apple first started making DMCA nose then said, in effect, 'well we'll just star rolling the DRMduring updates to play one-step ahead'

Apple can get pretty agro about update/running retro-versions -- back when itunes (right around 6) was having connection problems wih iPods on some Windows systems, Apple was bearing down on folks with retro-copies of older vers that would still work

• Members

I'm saying this all happened a month before your post and for a very high majority it was a non event. The update did not brick my phone (dropping it a few times hasn't either).

My "hacks" did not include unlocking the phone. They were for importing my own ringtones and other pedestrian stuff.

• Members

I'm saying this all happened a month before your post and for a very high majority it was a non event.

True dat, it's kinda old news by the time it hit Craig's forum

Im not sure what the incompatibility rate was, from what I understand was depend on what hack was used (ie not all were effected equally)

I *believe* (needs to be verified) that there was worry that hacks to Euro networks were going to be more deeply effected

• Members

But in recent news, Apple just admitted that they estimate 18% of iPhones in circulation have been hacked to use on other networks.

They also announced that they've banned cash sales, are registering credit card numbers and limiting sales to two per customer to slow the flow the flow of new phones into the (dark?) gray market and try to assure better availability for Christmas sales to legit users.

Frankly, I don't see what the fuss is. Apple said they would do what they had to do to protect the licensing on these phones.

Yes -- there were a number (seemingly a LOT from what I see elsewhere) of people who -- despite everything Apple was saying and doing -- convinced themselves that Apple secretly wanted them to hack the phones... but, well, those people are clearly just nuts anyhow.

(Not saying it's nuts to hack the phone -- just nuts to think Apple wanted people to do it.)

• Members

Frankly, I don't see what the fuss is.

I suppose a number of questions could come up, like

if the terms of the license are enforcible? [are we going to get into a sale v license type situation, is there some form of tying going on, etc]

will there be attempts to use legal mechanism like DMCA anti-circumvention? (Apple made that noise over Fairplay too)

stuff like that - dunno if any will, or how they will get sorted, but it could get interesting

• Members

I wonder if it is more a case of ATT paying Apple a cut for every phone that joins the network. That is an expensive monthly plan and if Apple is loosing out by not getting anything from other networks they may be more likely to force iPhone users to ATT.

Archived