Tell Us Your CD Baby Experiences

Anderton

• Members

I've sold a handful of CD's, which is a small miracle given that I haven't been able to put together any live shows. I've sold a few downloads through the digital distribution that's folded into their agreement. I'm hoping that once I have some gigs in place and spread the word a little more, I'll tick up a few more sales.

I've also bought several CD's through CD Baby, and it's there's really good stuff available through there.

From both customer and client sides, they are a very responsive operation, and look to me to be making the most of their technology.

• Members

I've sold music all over the globe via them.

Before them, I sold CD's off my site, and I got sloppy in getting stuff to the post office in a timely fashion. Now things get sent out right away. I've never had a problem, nor a bad word about them.

Having CD Baby is a good thing.

Lately I am moving more digital downloads than physical product.

• Members

CD Baby works EXACTLY as advertized and I've found it a valuable tool over the years. The cool thing is now they are offering Instant digital downloads of your entire album in hight bit VRB, LAME encoded 256K MP3 format. The album is a .ZIP file and is $7. I'm diggin on it.:thu:

• Members

Does anyone have experience with Kunaki?

I do..Kunaki is the {censored}!!!!...I just produced and recorded a CD for a singer songwriter using them and they are awesome..Several friends have used them as well and the product comes professionally packaged, shrink wrapped, and it looks great! I'll be using them on all upcoming projects because I can't justify 1000 CD's anymore. {censored}ing people are just not buying...

• Moderators

CDBaby has been fantastic for us, especially since they added MP3 download distribution and record store distribution. Can't say enough good things about them.

Probably sold as many CDs on CDBaby as we have at live shows. Of course you have to get the traffic there yourself, but they do all the rest. :thu:

They did have one massive server crash that cost us some sales, but other than that they've been perfect.

Recommend them to anyone. :)

Terry D.

• Members

I've had a great experience on cdbaby. My latest cd has sold well and I've gotten good comments and feedback. However, one of the best benefits was when I first sent in my cd and got a glowing e-mail back from Derek. He said they loved the album so much they were going to feature it on the front page of the website (which they did), and he also called it "one of the best new releases (of over 30,000) that I've ever heard". That quote was like gold, and I've used it in all my promo, and the record label that is now distributing the cd used it on a sticker that they put on the shrink wrap of the cd. I have a few new music and dvd projects coming out soon and I will definitely put them on cdbaby.

• Members

Another thumbs up for CD Baby. They really are a great service and do a lot of the legwork that makes selling your music such a pain, like submitting your stuff to all the download services.

I don't think we've had too many sales from people randomly trolling CD Baby, but we drive traffic there from other sites and it works great. Another bonus is that they'll give you a credit card swiper so you can accept credit cards for merch sales at gigs! And they don't even care if you're selling CD's, it can be shirts or anything you want - they'll do the credit card processing. Really is a fantastic idea.

We have also had a couple of other online retailers find us through CD Baby and offer to carry our CD's, which has resulted in more sales. So I'd have to give the whole experience a big thumbs up.

• Members

Out of interest

what kind of package is everyone putting together for cdbaby.

Does the CD have a full booklet with lyrics etc..

and how much are you charging for each album?

I think you can find all the quality levels, it only depends on what you provide them to be sold.

The prices are decided by the artist, you have to take in account, obviously, the fixed amount for CD Baby.

Have a look to the link in my sig to get a better idea. ;)

• Moderators

Out of interest

Our first CD has a four panel booklet that includes the lyrics on the inside panels. We're asking $10 for the CD; I think we get $6 of that and CDBaby gets $4. Each CD costs us less than a dollar to manufacture, not counting some sweat equity.

Our upcoming CD will be a bit more ambitious, probably an 8 page booklet to accomodate more photos and 14 songs instead of the 10 on the last album.

Terry D.

• Members

Out of interest

Mine varies, but they accept CD-Rs if they are professionally packaged, such as the run of 100 CD-Rs that many places such as diskfaktory.com can make. I just wanted to point out that some people may not need to do runs of 1000 to sell their stuff on CDBaby.com.

• Members

Just had to add another positive note to the cdbaby experience. We've had some luck with sales. We perform locally and sell more CDs at shows than through cdbaby, but through establishing a presence on myspace and a other freebie sites, we've managed to direct a few people to cdbaby.

So far we haven't had anyone buy from us after randomly surfing cdbaby.

I play trad folk, so it's a niche market and not terribly profitable in the best of times.

I really like cdbaby's digital distribution. Our album has been submitted to over 50 sites and is currently available on a couple dozen of them, including iTunes. We do get a smattering a single-track downloads, some internationally, which is a kick.

Opening and maintaining a cdbaby account couldn't be easier. They handle the digital distribution, and, while it's a very slow process, they likely handled it better than I could.

Archived