Yanks Fire Joe Torre: Can you make sense of this?

• Members

As a life long Yankee fan, firing Torre is like firing your father! How is it possible that a guy with his success with this team is disrespected with a pay cut? OK, 5 million dollars is a lot of money but we are talking baseball here...

Torre is irreplaceable.

I love Mattingly but Girardi gets my vote for manager.

And while we`re at it... let AROD & Clemens go.

Pettitte, Mariano and Jorge must stay and deserve to wear the uniform until they retire.

Whats your take?

• Members

Jay Mohr had a great quote, something like "After 12 years making the postseason and a fistfull of rings, what you REALLY want is a career .200 hitting catcher who got fired after his first season managing." :D

If it's not Mattingly, I wonder how LaRussa would do in NYC. The Yankees job is 1/3 managing the game, 1/3 managing the egos in the clubhouse, 1/3 managing the media. That last 1/3 can lead to getting you fired as easily as a other 2/3 and that's where Torre often doesn't get enough credit.

• Members

As a life long Yankee fan, firing Torre is like firing your father! How is it possible that a guy with his success with this team is disrespected with a pay cut? OK, 5 million dollars is a lot of money but we are talking baseball here...

Torre is irreplaceable.

And while we`re at it... let AROD & Clemens go.

Pettitte, Mariano and Jorge must stay and deserve to wear the uniform until they retire.

Whats your take?

He wasn't fired he turned down an offer that was insulting, and in my opinion, designed to make him quit.

I think the next skipper will be either: Tony LaRussa, Bobby Cox or Bobby Valentine. Mattingly has no experience, and Girardi, while a very capable skip, may be a little too young to manage guys he played with just a short time ago (also Big Stein wasn't too high on him anyway).

Knowing the Yankees, they'll go for the marqee name.....

• Members

Iamthe blues has it right -- an offer designed to make him refuse it, and it wasn;t the pay cut that did it; it was the second year option being tied to a world series appearance. See, Joe prob. wanted to be the last manager in the old Yankee Stadium and the first manager in the new one.

Torre has long standing issue with the boss' man Randy Levine, and this time Cashman didn't supplicate to keep Torre in the family, because Cash himself is on shaky ground...

Big mistake by the Yankees.

• Members

If it's not Mattingly, I wonder how LaRussa would do in NYC. The Yankees job is 1/3 managing the game, 1/3 managing the egos in the clubhouse, 1/3 managing the media. That last 1/3 can lead to getting you fired as easily as a other 2/3 and that's where Torre often doesn't get enough credit.

LaRussa has a ton of experience from his days managing in Chicago, Oakland and St. Louis. The Cardinals fans/media are just as rabid, if not moreso, than in NYC so he'd handle the media fine......

• Members

I like Jay, but he's way off on this. Girardi was a clutch player who has a great understanding of the game. He was named manager of the year in Florida and was fired because he did not get along with the idiot owner down there.

Well that certainly wouldn't be a problem in NY then, where the owner is such an agreeable fellow! ;)

• Members

Saw Mariano interviewed last week, and he made it pretty clear that his choice of uniform next year would be heavily influenced by what decision was made on Torre.

They're cooked.

I have a feeling you won't see him back next year, along with Pettitte, Clemens (good riddance), Giambi, Mussina and maybe Posada. I think they'll hold on to A-Rod if only to save face from the Torre debacle.

Losing Rivera may not be too bad of a thing, if they give the closer slot to Joba (think back to '97 when Wetteland laft and Mo took over as closer). I like the young arms this team has and the soon to be new pitching coach (Dave Eiland) has worked with them already.....

• Members

Well that certainly wouldn't be a problem in NY then, where the owner is such an agreeable fellow!
;)

The difference is in Florida the owner calls all the shots, while Big Stein doesn't seem to wield the same control he did in years past (10 years ago there'd be no meetings in Tampa to decide Torre's fate, George would've just axed him and been done with it).

• Members

We will see that #6 on the wall for sure....

I always thought that Girardi was in Florida for training purposes by Steinbrenner (who owns a micro-ownership of the Marlins too) when the original groom, Willie Randolph, went to my team: The Mets ( no thumbsup smiley because my Mets really let me down)

• Members

... if they give the closer slot to Joba (think back to '97 when Wetteland laft and Mo took over as closer)...

If any or all of these guys go (Pettitte, Clemens and Mussina), you'll be seeing Joba as a starter. There's already talk about it, even if Rivera goes. You need starters/middle relief. Could he really be any worst than Mussina?

Best, Paul

• Members

If any or all of these guys go (Pettitte, Clemens and Mussina), you'll be seeing Joba as a starter. There's already talk about it, even if Rivera goes. You need starters/middle relief. Could he really be any worst than Mussina?

Best, Paul

As for starters they already have Wang, Hughes and Kennedy plus whoever they may sign. The middle relief is kind of shaky with Farnsworth, Vizciano, Villone etc... I think Joba is best suited as a closer since he'd only be required to pitch a max of 2 innings, and whith that 100mph fastball of his, it'd be lights out.....

• Members

I think Joba is best suited as a closer since he'd only be required to pitch a max of 2 innings, and whith that 100mph fastball of his, it'd be lights out.....

Unless there is a massive flying bug infestation. Then, maybe not so much.

In August, I went to a Yankees game in the Bronx and saw Joba finish the Tigers' half of the 7th on 10 pitches. Ridiculous. Then, amid 50,000 calls for more Joba, Edwar Ramirez came out for the 8th and retired the side in order throwing 78mph garbage. Go figure.

• Members

None of them will be particularly missed at this point (with the notable exception of Posada). I like Riviera, but he has lost a bit of his magic and no longer justifies what they pay him. A-Rod, the guy who kills all year but fades in the postseason, can go too... perhaps all the $$$ they're spending on those guys now could be allotted to some young pitchers. Which is what they've needed for the past 5 years anyway.

I have a feeling you won't see him back next year, along with Pettitte, Clemens (good riddance), Giambi, Mussina and maybe Posada. I think they'll hold on to A-Rod if only to save face from the Torre debacle.

Losing Rivera may not be too bad of a thing, if they give the closer slot to Joba (think back to '97 when Wetteland laft and Mo took over as closer). I like the young arms this team has and the soon to be new pitching coach (Dave Eiland) has worked with them already.....

• Members

Look, Mo' Rivera is BABE F*CKING RUTH in my eyes, the defining Yankee on a team that will go down as one of the best in history for accomplishing what they did in the era of the three round playoffs. Most NYY fans feel the way I do.

That said, I could actually respect an organizational direction that chose not to re-up with Mo and Jorge --two guys who are getting on and who are looking for (and will get) that last big deal. The Patriots, for example, would let them walk. It's an unsentimental business.

Of course the Yanks can afford anyone they want, so these moves are more symbolic than anything else. The Yanks I'd most like to see LEAVE are Giambi, Damon, Farnsworth...but they ain't going anywhere. A first baseman who can't play first and a centerfielder who can't play centerfield, both with enormous contracts. Yippee...

Aw, hell, I don't know. 1998 seems like an awful long time ago.

• Members

Of all those players, Posada is the one I'd hate to see leave. Granted his defense is suspect, they could always put him at first, he is a clutch hitter.

Personally I'm on the fence about A-Rod, yeah he did collapse in the postseason (again), but that whole lineup apart from Cano and Cabrerra stunk up the place.

• Members

Of course the Yanks can afford anyone they want, so these moves are more symbolic than anything else. The Yanks I'd most like to see LEAVE are Giambi, Damon, Farnsworth...but they ain't going anywhere. A first baseman who can't play first and a centerfielder who can't play centerfield, both with enormous contracts. Yippee...

Aw, hell, I don't know. 1998 seems like an awful long time ago.

The thing with Damon is that he's fast and does hit well, he's a good leadoff hitter, but is atrocious in the outfield. I think he may be back next season.

Giambi's only function on this team is as a DH and even then he's streaky or hurt so he should go. As much as I like Doug Menkewietizishivitz (;)) the whole first base issue needs to be redone with a bonafide first baseman who can hit and field.

Farnsworth would be awesome with that 98mph fastball if he didn't leave it over the plate all the damn time. I have a bad feeling he'll be back next season....

• Members

Not fired. He rejected their offer, which was a pay cut for him.

It's not the money. It's the one-year contract which would have rendered Torre a "lame duck." This would have been very bad for the team, because the uncertainty would have been an albatross around their necks.

If the Yankees wanted Torre to stay, they should have offered him a 3-year contract. Torre reportedly asked them if they would give him a 2-year deal, but they refused. It was a total bitch slap to a classy guy who had NEVER failed to lead this team to the playoffs.

According to what I've heard on NY sports radio, George Steinbrenner wants to see Mattingly as the team manager. George is in frail health now. That may be the driving force beyond the ousting of Torre.

• Members

Yes, Torre was not "officially fired" but in essence, what the Yanks did was make him an offer they knew he would reject. This way it looked like they wanted to keep him and they can`t say they fired him but they did. If someone with his credentials is getting fired, I would not be so quick to take his place. Its pretty irrational.

Archived