6-port hub causes Mac not to boot up! The horror!

UstadKhanAli

• Members

I have an Iogear 6-port IEEE 1394 FireWire Hub attached to my Mac G4 (OS 9.2.2). When I have the hub connected to the computer, it either boots up really slowly or does not boot up at all.

When I have the hub disconnected, the computer boots up perfectly fine, and I can connect the hub afterwards without any difficulty or glitches.

Anyone hazard a guess as to what's going on? Are there better hubs than this on the market that offer 6-port connectivity? Advice? Suggestions? Insults? :D

P.S. I don't boot up on OS 10.3.7 very often (yes, I have a dual-boot system), but the few times I have, it appears to boot up okay. Not 100% sure about this yet.

• Members

When I have the hub connected to the computer, it either boots up really slowly or does not boot up at all.

When I have the hub disconnected, the computer boots up perfectly fine, and I can connect the hub afterwards without any difficulty or glitches.

Anyone hazard a guess as to what's going on?

Ken,

I have exactly the same problem with my G4 and the M-Audio 410. When it's connected (turned 'on' or 'off') as the first unit in the FW chain and I turn on the computer, boot gets all the way to the desktop, then the dreaded grey screen appears with 'you must restart the computer' message. No user solutions found. What I ended up doing was putting the 410 after my FW harddrives(series connection, not hub), then leaving all units 'off' until I was able to boot. Once I have the desktop, I turn on the HDs then the 410. A little inconvenient, but it works. BTW, just the HDs w/o the 410 won't boot either. Doubt it's the hub causing the problem. There's something about the G4...

EDIT: Just came across this thread which may be a cause http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762444 .

Good luck, Paul

• Members

I am not familiar with the Macs but it seems similar to some bios for windows machines that would try to boot from an ipod or a flash drive even if you have turned off boot from other devices.

This is a better theory than you might have known - Macs support firewire booting. The system looks for an OS whenever you do an option + Power On. It might be doing that while you wait.

Try googling "slow startup" and the OS Version and you might get some other ideas. Is there any way to get a terminal window up during a Macintosh boot?

• Members
Get a PC!
:p

Yeah, well, my brothers PC Laptop does the same thing with his Seagate USB/FW external drive on boot up and takes forever. If I plug the drive into either one of my desktop machines it boots right up, go figure. By the way, he doesn't have a hub or dongle, he's going straight in. I gave up trying to figure out why so now he just plugs it in after boot up.

Archived