OT - A nice watch?

Rabid

• Members

I got $300 for my birthday and want to spend it on something I will keep. I finally decided on a nice watch. The problem is I have not bought a nice watch in 20 years. My local small town choices are Walmart or a jeweler that knocks 10 percent off. Because of that I am going online.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Here are my specs.

Under 40mm wide and that is pushing it. I don't like big.

Don't need chronograph.

Preferred color is black, gold, or black with gold accents.

I would not mind digital date.

I would rather have quality than features.

• Members

Skagen watches are nice, thin, inexpensive. http://www.skagen.com/watches.asp

I have a Rado Anatom that I've worn nearly everyday for 20+ years. It's thin, lightweight, and VERY comfortable. I've considered getting a new watch several times but can't find one as easy to wear. A new one is well north of $300 but here's one that recently sold on eBay for $.10 on the dollar vs. new (someone got a great deal): http://cgi.ebay.com/Rado-Diastar-Anatom-mens-watch_W0QQitemZ290170605896QQihZ019QQcategoryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

I've been lusting after some of the Steinhausen watches:

http://www.steinhausenonline.com/category.asp?CAT=STW05

Swiss designed watches, made by a Swiss company with their own mfg plants in Asia and their own mines for the jewels, etc. (movement is made in Switzerland, final assembly in Asia).

They look quite stunning, and the prices are very low for such nice watches.

• Members

It's funny, I almost always get either practical gifts or music gifts from my wife, but for my most recent b-day she got me a watch that I had been eyeing. It's a nice Bulova, not too expensive or anything. I hadn't worn a watch in probably twenty years as I'm deadly afraid of being on time, but I really like this watch.

http://www.bulova.com/brands/bulova/product.aspx?id=654&coll_id=22&origin=collection

• Members

If you shop around, you might find a Movado Museum watch in that price range, but not the solid gold model.

T1021666.jpg

If you want a good time, you need a good watch!
:D

You know, that is one I am really considering. I've been looking at bluedial.com for pricing. That is about the best I have seen and I have bought from them before.

• Members

You know, that is one I am really considering. I've been looking at bluedial.com for pricing. That is about the best I have seen and I have bought from them before.

I got a Museum watch for my 40th birthday (almost 20 years ago :eek:) It's very thin and light. At the time I planned on getting a Piaget Polo for my 50th, but thankfully I came to my senses before then! C32411.gif

• Members

My wife keeps wanting to buy me a watch as a gift. Dunno why - I don't wear one, and I'm on time for EVERY event in my life.

Can't see a need for a watch anymore. Every room that has an appliance of some sort has a clock: PC, VCR, DVD, TV, oven, microwave, coffeemaker, toaster (yes, you read that correctly), car, car stereo, car GPS system, telephone, phone answering machine, cellphone, beeper, billboards outside banks.... clocks are EVERYWHERE. Besides, a watch becomes just one more thing you have to be careful about.

No thanks. But I hope you enjoy whichever watch you end up acquiring!

• Members

Sure, why not?

Plenty of folks who live in places you cannot drive more than 65mph buy Ferraris and Porsches. Lots more who do not drive anywhere but to the local stripmall and back opt for Hummers and Escalades.

How about that one

Coral Diver by Glycine

No reason your average musician ought not spend the extra $$$ to get a watch that does not fail when diving the wrecks in Truk lagoon.

:D

Archived