Venues that close doors at start time

LiveMusic

• Members

As others note, it's de rigeur for so-called serious music (symphonic, chamber, opera, etc). And, of course, theatre. I've seen it done in jazz once or twice, I think.

I think it's a great idea for folk music, too -- although it's something you'd want to make clear to fans (and visiting artists) as the policy if there were long periods where the fans couldn't enter.

I've watched a piano concerto from the very back of the hall at my local symphony before. It's small price to pay for not having to stumble across a bunch of innocent people in the dark who are just trying to watch some serious music they paid a considerable amount of money to see.

• Members

I liked it! It really seemed focused on the music rather than the entertainment.

At first glance, sure... But the concept of a popular music venue (remember that the goal for 90% of the writers who play the bluebird is to get a cut that gets played on the radio and makes 'em money) where you aren't allowed to talk? C'mon - if your songs suck so bad that people have to be FORCED to listen to them rather than drawing listeners into them, you shouldn't be doing them on stage. I mean, really - it ain't a church, it's a hole in the wall bar.

And that doesn't even discuss the stupidity of 'writers in the round' - at least, the way it's developed at the Bluebird....

• Members

At first glance, sure... But the concept of a popular music venue (remember that the goal for 90% of the writers who play the bluebird is to get a cut that gets played on the radio and makes 'em money) where you aren't allowed to talk? C'mon - if your songs suck so bad that people have to be FORCED to listen to them rather than drawing listeners into them, you shouldn't be doing them on stage. I mean, really - it ain't a church, it's a hole in the wall bar.

And that doesn't even discuss the stupidity of 'writers in the round' - at least, the way it's developed at the Bluebird....

Could you expand please?

They serve booze, right? It's a venue focused on one thing -- the song. Kinda like folk music. If people talk a little, they will talk a lot.

I'd think they're doing something right; they're still in business after many years.

I'm interested in why you feel the way you do. You've seen too many no-name writers there who suck or what?

How strict are they on not talking. I mean, you can't whisper a sentence to your honey or what?

Archived