Bit by the photo bug / NYC - tristate area shots

dahkter

• Members

Hey guys,

After a ten year break from photography, recently got back into it with the purchase of a Fuji point and shoot. Well, I returned it and went DSLR, grabbed a Nikon and a wide angle. Here's some of my shots from the last three weeks, the top nine are dslr, the bottom ten are with the fuji point and shoot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16109106@N06/

• Members

Dahkter, I think these are gorgeous shots by any measure! You've really captured a lot of the area near your home in a gorgeous manner. I hesitate in pointing out anything specifically because all of it is so beautiful, but I really love the bridge shots and the family looking for jellyfish because the capture not just the image but an elusive emotion and vibe. But those Coney Island shots, building shots, etc. showcase your love and appreciation of NY and Brooklyn, and when you can live in a place for so long and still feel a fresh energy, that's a beautiful thing.

I have the Nikon D80's predecessor, the D50, and really love that as well. I'm currently using an 18-70mm lens, but intend on getting the 18-200mm DX VR lens soon (some of you may remember that Express Cameras bait-and-switch debacle I encountered a couple of weeks ago).

• Members

WOW! those shots are amazing... i wish i could take pictures like that!!!

Congrats.. the 10 year retirement didnt screw your skills!

I have a point and shot panasonic :(

I love photography, and i would like to take it a little bit more seriously. even with my crappy camera i have taken good pics that people like. But for more seious work... on a budget :( what would you guys recommend? The canon s3 is supposed to have near DSLR quality...

• Members

Ken, Mobo,

Many thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I really enjoyed taking these shots, it's a lot of fun to see someting and try to capture it on film (or onto a digital sesnsor).

I'm happy with these shots, especially the fact that I did no cropping and no post processing. They came straight from the C Drive to flickr.

It reminds me of recording songs with no quantization and no autotune, there's something nice about it...

Thanks again for the kind words.

• Members

Jellyfish and the Stauts of liberty shots were 10's.

I love how 90% of the statue shot is of the sky. That gives a really interesting perspective/connotation to the image.

I understand that ancient parachute ride at Coney Island may be gone within a year to make room for luxury condos. Too bad.

Taking pictures of the Brooklyn bridge these days is brave. It just might result in a personal visit from the homeland security folks.

God I love NY.

• Members

Hey, I know where that monarch is sitting cause I took similar picture 2 years ago...
:)
Great gallery and great pics...
:)

That monarch believe it or not was photographed at the NY Aquarium in Coney Island, they have a few flowering plants in the main courtyard...

Ken's comment regarding the d40 is right, it's a great camera for a great price. Only drawback is that the body is a bit small, the d50 and d80 are more comfortable if you have medium or large hands.

Now, since this thread is not dying, can some of y'all post up some inspiring photos? It's been a while since we've had one of those...

Archived