i guess ticket scalping is ok now

alphajerk

• Members

didnt it used to be illegal?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21532617/

i know there was a thread a while back, but funny how once an illegal activity is now called a "second market"... of course what idiot parents would buy their kid a $2500 concert ticket?

i might pay $2500 to see Jimi, but thats only because he is DEAD, and for him to make a reappearance would be bigger than Jesus.

and really the worst part is these scalping companies use slick ways of basically buying out the concert... either through technology in aquiring through the site, or im willing to bet though the backdoor.

• Members

didnt it used to be illegal?

The kind of scalping that was illegal still is (which has to do with the proximity to the event itself, like selling tix outside a sports arena an hour before the game).

But re-selling for markup -- stupid, ridiculous markup -- has never been against the law.

I'd never pay $2500 for a ticket to anything. Not to the moon. Not to see Hendrix. Not to see God.

• Members

But re-selling for markup -- stupid, ridiculous markup -- has never been against the law.

Until recently, it had been illegal in Florida for a long time....like 60 years or so.

There's nothing like killing the live music market by making it impossible for the average Joe to see a show. :rolleyes:

They can stay home and play video games.

• Members

The kind of scalping that was illegal still is (which has to do with the proximity to the event itself, like selling tix outside a sports arena an hour before the game).

I'd never pay $2500 for a ticket to anything. Not to the moon. Not to see Hendrix. Not to see God.

I'd pay $2500 for a ticket to the moon as long as it was round-trip and included a pressurized space ship, moon-suit, and at least a couple hours to play around on the surface.

God and Henrix... well, in the best case scenario, I'd like to think that might yet happen (in some sort of abstract back-to-the-Godhead sorta way, perhpas). As Flannery O'Connor said: everything that rises must converge.

I guess the thing is to try to make sure you rise instead of sink... That said, I've always sort of figured it was more just unraveling into space...

Archived