No announcement yet.

Van Halen Train Wreck Video

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Halen Train Wreck Video

Esteemed EQ editor Matt Harper turned me on to this. It shows what happens when a 44.1kHz backing track gets played back at 48kHz, and the guitarist...well, you'll hear what happens.

Wonder who got fired after this one...or maybe it's the launch of the new, Arnold Shoenberg edition of Van Halen!
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

I saw that. It made me feel much better about our gig Saturday night.
    Pontiac Blues Band Home Page
    Today's Sample Song - You Didn't Have To Leave Me

Comment

I am super-bummed...

I can't get it to play past the first few seconds.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

That thing has been lighting up the internets. I can't imagine why they didn't stop and fix things.

YouTube has several videos from that show, and they all sound terrible. I wonder if the monitors were working.
        Music for your busy day.

All the info you need.

Be my friend?

Comment

Didn
          My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

Wow! That really hurts.

Karma. A good band doesn't need backing tracks. And if you're going to be all Justin Timberlake about it, make sure you hire people who know how to work the gear.

But the funniest thing about the video is that the intonation problem does not affect David Lee Roth. I don't think he was ever that concerned about pitch anyway...

Zip
            665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

Wow. I am just a little impressed with dave's baton twirling.
              This space intentionally left blank

Comment

Wow. I am just a little impressed with dave's baton twirling.

He's been doing that for years. I think sombody told him he needed additional job skills to "fall back on".

Think we'll get to see a UTube video of an onstage fistfight between Eddie and Diamond Dave before the end of the tour?

Zip
                665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

THat was TOO funny! Not that I wish any glitches on Van Halen........
                  I did a Google search on the letter "e".......the whole internet froze up.

My MySpace page:
                  http://www.myspace.com/fendercasterga

Comment

Ah... FF didn't like it for some reason but it played fine in IE.

First, top props to DLR on the mic stand twirling.
                    As someone who twirled various canes for five years after my motorcycle wreck way back when -- I have to say that's really impressive.

And I have to say that DLR riding the giant inflatable mic took me right back to my feelings the one and only time I saw them way back at the start of their career (c. '76 or so, when they were kings of the south side -- the dude/metal side -- of the Sunset Strip)... I couldn't believe they were wearing skin tight, brightly colored spandex bell bottoms when all the cool kids were in regular jeans and t-shirts. I was pretty much horrified. They didn't really scare me this time, though.

On the glitch front... yep. I don't think I can add anything. It's a full on trainwreck all right. But, as noted, DLR goes straight up to the pitch of the canned audio and only gets really confused when the guitars get louder.

Hey, at least they're actually playing and singing along with the canned music. Or at least making a heroic -- if horrorific -- attempt at it.

Troopers.

Comment

I guess what I don't understand large tours like this why they use backing tracks at all... why not the live keyboard player stage left or at the soundboard. Is it really that unprofitable to hire someone to back the parts live?
                      so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

I guess what I don't understand large tours like this why they use backing tracks at all... why not the live keyboard player stage left or at the soundboard.

Yeah, with tickets going for $74 to $900 plus, you'd think they could afford to hire a keyboardist. I can't believe an act this big would stoop to using backing tracks in the first place!
                        I did a Google search on the letter "e".......the whole internet froze up.

My MySpace page:
                        http://www.myspace.com/fendercasterga

Comment

Yeah, with tickets going for $74 to $900 plus, you'd think they could afford to hire a keyboardist. I can't believe an act this big would stoop to using backing tracks in the first place!

Well... we're a long way from the era when Chuck Berry used to play with a pick-up band wherever he went. (I was once at a show in OC that was, for reasons that escape me, obviously long on musician audience members. Someone on stage said: Show your hands if you've never been in Chuck Berry's back up band!

Anyhow...
                          back to VH and their (partial) pre-recorded backup tracks:

Clearly this is a quality-assurance strategy.

Comment

I'd been wondering what went wrong since i first saw that clip a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Man that sort of happened to me when I did a track on piano live.
                              I used an old keyboard that when you shut it off it stayed the way you had it when shut off. Well I was coarse tuning a part to see if a singer could sing it. But left it that way, did a sound check and didn't really think about it. When the song started, I played it, away I went, when everyone joined in...
                              Crash bang boom. But with us we stopped and I reset and away we went.
                              So for the 15 seconds of silence (the singer just told a joke) away we went!
                              I said give me an E, I was out 3 semitones, give me an E, fixed!
                              I always figured those keyboard tracks were pre-recorded.
                              Can't believe they didn't hear that (sound guys). I would of picked that up in 5 seconds, shut it off and started playing boom.
                              But I guess that's a few more $$ to cough up!
                              That was sad...
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/brianreynolds

Guitars
                              Fender Tele
                              Ibanez RG 770
                              Fender Strat
                              Martin DX
                              Baldwin 12

Rig
                              Marshall JVM 215c
                              AxeFX II
                              Mac Pro 2008