Trouble at Presonus.

audioicon

• Members

Well it's a name problem. First they take the so-call pres from the Firespod and put the same thing in the Firestudio. Now it's the Firestudio project, the same old pre-amp. It seem this company has ran out of ideas or just don't know what to name their products anymore.

Why not take all the ideas and built something new with "fresh" innovations. Everything that comes from that company must be a replica of a previous version.

This is just not presonus, a lot of company are simply re-packaging the same old products, giving them attractive useless un-proven technology that will carry the "subjective term" and they don't have to worry about it.

It's time for something without the fire.

Patrick/AI

It's juat too stale for me.

• Members

I dunno...if you look at the history of the company, it has done quite a bit of evolution. The Inspire was definitely out of the box, as was the partnership with ADL. The Faderport certainly doesn't trade on any previous designs.

I do think that a lot of circuit design is modular, so if they've hit on a preamp they like, I can certainly see why that would get "recycled." I see the "variations on a theme" more as honing something further as the technology makes it possible...like a band putting out a second album that builds on the first, rather than starting a new band.

What people may not remember is that when they started out, PreSonus didn't get a lot of respect. Then they segued into "Well, it's decent for the price" and now they have a very respected product line. I've had several chances to talk to the PreSonus people at trade shows and they're always checking out other possibilities. Some of the more interesting ones haven't made it to market, and may not...that's their call, based on whether they think people will buy the stuff. But they're not just kicking back. I know they've hired some people whose field of expertise is something other than re-packaging a FirePod :) and I'm sure we'll see the results of that before too long.

• Members

Oh, one other thing...PreSonus went through a period of crazy, off-the-wall-type growth. Don't know if it's still that way, but I think they had to spend a lot of time and energy just managing that growth. AFAIK they're not owned by some multinational corporation with deep pockets.

• Members

Oh, one other thing...PreSonus went through a period of crazy, off-the-wall-type growth. Don't know if it's still that way, but I think they had to spend a lot of time and energy just managing that growth. AFAIK they're not owned by some multinational corporation with deep pockets.

When I bought the Firepod it wasn't on sale, it had just come out. I hate to say this Craig but I think most company ride on the brand for marketing reasons. My thread/post title was suppose to be a question, forgot to add the question mark.

I'm just very critical, I was impressed by Presonus before but not until every other Product had the name "Fire."

While Korg has used the Triton name, every keyboard had been different in a lot of ways. Same Pre-Amp, Same Converters, whats the difference? The name?

AI

• Members

Korg has been riding and repackaging the Triton engine for over ten years, now.

True, but I believe they reached the end of that line with the T-series workstations. Now they're using the engines from the OASYS, Radias, and M3 in their various synths. I'm pretty sure you won't see new products with the Triton engine, but that's just speculation...maybe someone from Korg could chime in.

• Members

The main difference between the FireStudio and the FireStudio Project is they dropped the Adat i/o and the price by about $300.00. I'll probably get one since it's in my price range and I like their quality v/s price and their drivers and support. Hey, if they wanted to thrown in some TC and UAD plugs and Line 6 for guitar that ran off the chip in the box with an exciting new name I might be game, but I probably wouldn't want to spring for the price and the problems getting everything working, so I'll settle for cheaper, boring, and something that sounds good and works.

• Members

well they didn't name their inspire the "fire quartet".

It's just marketing and a very easy label so that anybody knows its firewire. None of those models are the same although the important parts thankfully are the same (preamps, quality, etc.). That's better than "firewire pod", "firewire box", "firewire station", firewire project" etc. makes me want to gasp for air just saying them.

Naw when they came out, they were treated pretty much like a behringer, but they one-upped everybody with their quality, price and unique features that now they can be talked about in terms of MOTU, Mackie, and Digidesign.

• Members

Naw when they came out, they were treated pretty much like a behringer, but they one-upped everybody with their quality, price and unique features that now they can be talked about in terms of MOTU, Mackie, and Digidesign.

I can't help but wonder if their success has something to do with the fact that their prez/CEO/head honcho/whatever he is :) is a very good guitarist. In other words, whether he's a bean-counter or not about the bottom line is beside the point, he's into the musical aspect big-time.

• CMS Author

The main difference between the FireStudio and the FireStudio Project is they dropped the Adat i/o and the price by about $300.00.

It's really hard to tell the players without a program, particularly when they're all named Firesomething. ;) I haven't looked at the Firesomethings for a while, but I did have a look at the Project at the AES show and was really impressed with how they handled some of the mixer GUI features.

While not perfect (nothing seems to be) they included a lot of things that were on my wish list for a couple of other similar products. For example (and maybe they've been doing this for a year now and I just didn't know it) you can copy a mix to one output and paste it to another output. And when you have an input disabled, it's grayed out on the mixer so you don't grab a fader and wonder why it doesn't change anything.

• Members

It's really hard to tell the players without a program, particularly when they're all named Firesomething.
;)
I haven't looked at the Firesomethings for a while, but I did have a look at the Project at the AES show and was really impressed with how they handled some of the mixer GUI features.

While not perfect (nothing seems to be) they included a lot of things that were on my wish list for a couple of other similar products. For example (and maybe they've been doing this for a year now and I just didn't know it) you can copy a mix to one output and paste it to another output. And when you have an input disabled, it's grayed out on the mixer so you don't grab a fader and wonder why it doesn't change anything.

When I read the ad for the Firestudio project, it stated "next generation converters." Well isn't the converter the same as the one in previous "Fire" brand? I do love the gain meter, it's better then the one little needle prick like light that comes on occasionally when the inputs is too high/overload.

All in all they should change the pre-amp and stop calling everything "Fire." :D

Basically companies are using the same thing and changing the terminology.

And because all is based on individuality/subjectivity, they abuse that.

Like saying well Bruce likes it, or John Mayer likes it, so it's great.

Audioicon

• Members

I don't have a problem with it myself. Fire(xxx) is instantly descriptive - I know it's a FireWire unit, not USB. Besides, if the products are a variation of an existing, successful product line - which they are - then it makes lots of sense for them to use a similar name, rather than coming up with a completely different one.

Archived