iPhone competition on the way

alphajerk

• Members

Yeah... I looked at all of those phones a couple weeks ago when the iPhone-killer was in the tech feed headlines.

I have to say that while there seemed to be some nice features in the full touch screen model -- that the vendor and manufacturer's own hype seemed to fall pretty far short of the undeniable (at least to me and I, as yourself, am not exactly an Apple fanboy) charms of the iPhone.

I had to join the chorus of skeptics... I've played with an iPhone and -- whatever other issues one might have with the manufacturer and/or the service provider -- it is a very slick and usable device, even given its limitations.

I haven't seen anything close to an iPhone-killer yet.

• Members

I have! It's called "Drop it on the pavement."

My iPhone pal (wow, it's a singularity, still) dropped his (in one of those very thin, quasi-invisible cushion-covers) on what I believe was a hard floor and it survived.

I'm fairly sure it was a pretty lucky landing, though. Having handled that very phone (before), I don't think it would do well after landing on, say, a corner of the phone on, say, marble or concrete. (And I shudder to even visualize such a thing.)

• Members

i dunno, i have been looking at some of these windows mobile enabled phones [im due for an upgrade now] and some are pretty impressive from a business standpoint.... even a user standpoint. it seems MS has been doing this with other companies for longer than apple with touchscreen interfaces combined with keypads and/or qwerty keyboards.

• Members

i have seen that google phone... but no ads. dont like them on my tv, internet, or even billboards on the road, definately not my phone. its weird once i started looking at phones seriously and seeing what is now there currently, apple's marketing once again becomes full of {censored}. the iphone isnt revolutionary, i had no idea phones already existed with touch screens etc... but then again, i dont buy phones that cost $300 either typically. and that is still cheaper than the iphones when they came out.

now i see LG has a direct answer to the iphone with out the qwerty keyboard on one model, the other has one AND a full screen. i looked at microsoft mobile and it is pretty impressive, does everythign the iphone does, but long before. so how is the iphone revolutionary again? doesnt seem like it can sync with my outlook.

• Members

One things for certain, phones should get a whole lot cooler now that the iThingy is out.

I don't see why I can't have one with a 9 megapixel camera and hi-quality lens built in. I seem to recall reading that in Asian counties they are way more advanced than ours. I never have a camera when I need one, but I always have a phone and I use it to take pics all the time.

• Members

it seems though, and my point... is there were cool ass phones BEFORE the iPhone, with replaceable batteries i might add.

im not looking for a camera on my phone, its just one of those added things that come in handy sometimes.

same with audio/video players on it... WMP on these MSmobile smart phones and itunes on the iphone.

im looking at the outlook sync as a MAJOR feature. also messaging at times is a good feature. wi-fi [802.11g] is a definate PLUS! so when i am at home, its on my wireless, and when im in a hotspot i can use it on the go. i dont care about "broadband" service, i can do without the internet if im not in a hotspot.

most phones im looking at are $249 [minus $100 rebate] which puts them well below iPhones.

the biggest thing i think i like is they are bar phones and not flip phones, i am so tired of those. i have had flip phones for 4 years or longer now [actually for a long time] exclusively.

but after just replacing my LCD on my Canon camera [cost me a whole $60 for the part and 10 minutes of my time] i could only imagine the headache if the iPhone LCD got cracked. doubtful they will let you replace the LCD when they wont let you replace the battery.

so the link above are coming out mid-nov... there is a samsung out currently i am contemplating getting now since my phone is dying quickly. i have abused it for 2 years now. i guess a few more weeks is easy enough to wait and see.

• Members

nope! youtube has an iPhone in a "will it blend" segment. The light stays on for seconds after the blender starts grinding. Tough little device it is

All of a sudden it turns black and fills up. Was that when the battery was finally broken open?

I thought it blended quite nicely by the way.

• Members

nope! youtube has an iPhone in a "will it blend" segment. The light stays on for seconds after the blender starts grinding. Tough little device it is

Just going by light/power can be a poor metric for failure as the failure mode might not be related to that ( I once had a sanyo that failed and the display sayed perma-on)...but might be realted to other components/functions

I don't know if a blender is a great analog for a drop test

eh, not "I hate/love i-Whatever" [i'm not in that target market] - just a QA thing

• Members

The best thing about the iphone is that it will make all phones better. Any of the smart phones I have played around with or known people to use have been horrible. It doesn't matter how many features a product has if the UI is so bad you don't use them. I have a Motorola i990 Nextel phone and I can't even text message with it because the software and UI are so bad that it is unuseable.

• Members

One often overlooked feature of the iPhone is that the AT&T plan that you have to use with it is chalk full of all the features you could want and at a very reasonable price: Unlimited data (i.e., internet and text) is the biggest feature that is nearly free compared to competition packages from other providers, or even from AT&T with non-iPhones.

• Members

Definitely can be a lifestyle (what kind of environments you find youself in) -- sadly, my last one was compromised when I had to roll the kayak with the phone exposed (hey, at least it was a practical use for the knife roll :) )

dried it out in the sauna...worked for a little while that way

Archived