New Eagles: Long Road Out of Eden

scud133

• Members

Looks good... looks good... and then... SLAMMED!! :eek:

Long Road Out of Eden (title track):

eagles01fx6.jpg

At least it doesn't clip, they managed to keep the levels all below 0db on this one...

But then check out this one, called Center of the Universe:

eagles02oi8.jpg

Is that a hint of dynamic range I see on a CD released in 2007??

Anyway, haven't had a chance to listen to the whole album yet but most of the tracks seem pretty mellow so far -- not much rockin : (

• Members

The Dude: Jesus, man, could you change the channel?

Cab Driver: F*** you man. If you don't like my f***in' music get your own f***in' cab!

The Dude: I had a rough...

Cab Driver: I pull over and kick your ass out!

The Dude: Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the f***in' Eagles, man!

• Members

What about "Available exclusively at Wal-Mart"?

This from Don Henley, working with the corporate satan. :D But apparently part of the deal is that Wal-Mart made some concession towards the Eagles' social interests in order to secure the deal. And Henley said that working Wal-Mart is not really different than working with a major international media company like Universal or whoever. And also, working from the inside, making mutually beneficial deals can be more efficient than standing outside picketing and throwing stones at the monolith.

• Members

Well, I've seen how it looks. How's it sound?

I'm getting really tired of looking at audio.

Some of the songs are pretty punchy, where my ears get tired after 3-4 mins, and some aren't painful but definitely loud...

But to be honest I listened to it through once and haven't had any desire to play it again...

I would say buy the single if you're interested but pass on the rest; it's really depressing for the most part. Only keepers are "i love to watch a woman dance" "i dreamed there was no war" (a cool instrumental) and "how long" (the single)

• Members

Well, I've seen how it looks. How's it sound?

I'm getting really tired of looking at audio.

Me too... I'm just wondering why people continue to talk about compression levels and slamming, and for some reason, they didn't hear the songs... I mean, isn't that what it's all about, listening ot the songs and the music performances.... Or am I missing something???

• Members

Me too... I'm just wondering why people continue to talk about compression levels and slamming, and for some reason, they didn't hear the songs... I mean, isn't that what it's all about, listening ot the songs and the music performances.... Or am I missing something???

Well, what happens is that when the sound is as squashed as it is on today's records, it's simply not enjoyable to listen to in the long run.

I bought Amy Winehouse's delightful song, "Rehab," from Amazon, and while Amazon did their part (256 kbps non-DRM Mp3) the song is so overcompressed that it's painful to listen to -- and so loud I can't really put it in a playlist with my normal music.

I also like a lot of the new Radiohead album I bought. But, by and large, I don't find myself listening to it because it's so fatiguing. After the first few days, now, it's rare when I put it on and get all the way through.

I've done a little better with the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss album. It's still too loud to mix in with other music (I keep trying to segue Gene Clark's version of Polly with the cover -- but I have to be right there to turn the level of the Raising Sand version down by nearly half to keep levels consistent.)

So, you know, if they had a color coding on product to show its average RMS level that would allow me to avoid WASTING MY MONEY on music I'm not going to be able to listen to and enjoy in the long run...

Failing that I'm glad folks are talking about the squash levels out front -- maybe they can keep others from wasting their money on music they WOULD like -- if it hadn't been all but destroyed by tin-eared "mastering" "engineers" working at the behest of idiot labels.

• Members

Well, what happens is that when the sound is as squashed as it is on today's records, it's simply not enjoyable to listen to in the long run.

I certainly agree. I just wish there was some way of expressing it other than showing me results from a spectrum analyzer. Not blaming the guy who did, but something just rubs me the wrong way about expressing one's sonic dissatisfaction with a visual representation.

I mean, I can make any waveform look like anything. I'm not surprised the new Eagles record looks like this. I still don't know how it sounds, but I can't say I'm interested enough in Eagles music in 2007 to actually go listen to it regardless. :)

• Members

"Other big debuts this week include Puscifer's V Is for Vagina"

With albums like this, it's no wonder The Eagles topped the chart.

I've heard the album (Eagles)...it sounds right out of 1975 with killer harmony vocals. Good for them. :thu:

• Members

I posted this in another forum, but I think it's relevant to this thread too:

One guy I know bought the CD, and he hated it. He was seriously bummed out about it, because the Eagles are one of his all-time favorite bands, and he couldn't get over how much the new one sucked. He said he listened to it over and over again, trying to find something to like about it, but couldn't find anything.

Then he realized what the problem was. The CD is simply too long. It contains about 18 or 20 tracks, (not sure which number), and out of those, 10 or 11 are really solid. The rest, he says, are cheesy, schmaltzy crap. (I've never heard the CD, myself, with the exception of one song, and never got the chance to ask him which was which.)

So he burned his own version of the CD, cutting out the offending tracks and keeping the good ones, and now he loves the CD.

He made the point that this is the problem with a lot of modern CDs--they simply contain too many songs, and it's hard for an album to retain its consistency over the span of 18 to 20 tracks. Nowadays, the public expects CDs to contain a lot of music, yet quantity doesn't necessarily equal quality. Just 4 or 5 bad songs can really drag down the quality of the the album as a whole. The classic albums of yesteryear typically only had 9 or 10 tracks. Probably one of the reasons why there are few really great albums anymore.

• Members

I've heard the album (Eagles)...it sounds right out of 1975 with killer harmony vocals. Good for them.

In the case of the first single from the album, "How Long", at least, there's a good reason for this. This was written by J.D. Souther and originally done by the Eagles back in the '70's.

• Members

Songs in the Key of life had 21 tracks. I know for sure that they were selected from 100+ fully mixed and completed tracks. It took a year to record.

Our local reviewer gave Long Road 1 out of 10. He hated it yet insists he's an Eagles fan.

Well, a lot of times the catalyst for a double album had been that the band or artist had more good material than could fit on just one record. However, most albums, especially in the days of vinyl, were still 9 to 10 songs. Sgt Pepper had 12, and that was a lot for back then. Even Thriller had only 9.

But nowadays, a lot of artists are putting out CDs with 15 or 20 tracks on it, not because the material is all good, but because that's become the expectation. Not to mention bonus tracks, alternate versions, extras, etc.

Archived