My VCR Didn't Get The Memo

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

I just noticed last night that my VCR (combo VCR/DVD player, Sony, less than 2 years old) thinks that we've gone back to Standard time. It's not a Y2K tragedy, but fortunately I don't use the timer very often.

Any other supposedly smart home appliances that don't know what time it is (in the US anyway) this week?

• Members

Hunh... both my phone and my cable box DVR are OK. Actually, my phone is such a budget model that it probably doesn't even keep track of DST. Heaven knows it doesn't get its time from or check the network time but slides ever farther behind without attention from me at least once a month or so to set it forward several minutes. The clock in it may be the least accurate clock I've owned since the heyday of those idiotic LED and LCD wristwatches everyone had to have in the 70s.

I have an Omega -- that my grandfather bought in Switzerland in 1957 or '58 -- I think they may have been among the last to fly to Europe in a propeller driven airliner -- and it keeps time about 10 or 15 times better than my phone's crystal driven clock.

Whenever I'm trying to explain why digital audio interfaces need to have their clocks synchronized and the person says -- but the internal clock is a super accurate mystical, magical crystal -- I mention cheap digital watches... but I think it's lost on them anyhow.

How come something that keeps time for days, weeks, months (as long as I keep shaking my wrist back and forth, anyhow) with little tiny gears and springs is so much more accurate than our supposedly high technology?

I guess I'm just gonna have to get myself an atomic wrist watch. Which is full circle -- since the now 50 year old Omega has a glow in the dark radium dial.

Archived