HDD quality heading south?

alphajerk

• Members

last batch i got 3 out of 4 were DOA [WD drives]. im getting ready to order some more. i have always had good luck from Seagate, but i hear they have been having issues being DOA as well. i have replaced too many samsung and hitachi drives to even count for failure.... so those are out of the question for me.

is anyone else having these issues with new HDD's? is this a new trend? i have had at least a dozen failures this year on various HDDs from various companies. some die early before MTBF, others are simply DOA.

im about to order some more... but wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues as well and its just part of the "game" now.

one drive i am looking at is something in the 160GB range that will be partitioned into 2x 80GB partitions, one for XP and the other for 64bit Vista to run everything on both [though i do need to upgrade my soundcard from MOTU for Vista compatability, still running a 324 since i only have been mixing and dont need the onboard DSP.. and the only reason now to upgrade is they have made the 324 legacy with no Vista driver updates]

unforuntately, i will also keep my current 80GB XP drive in the mix to boot to while i build up these two OS's on the new one and the applications and get them up to speed in my spare time... though once i do, the 80GB will come out of the system, probably put that in an eSATA/USB2.0 enclosure for transfers.

• CMS Author
Are you sure your dealer is not sending you refurbished drives?

There shouldn't be anything wrong with refurbished drives. Maybe the dealer is taking them out of the pile of drives that were supposed to go back to the manufacturer, not to a customer.

• Members

im sure they arent refurbished. some i mentioned above came with computers from other companies [hp/compaq/dell/et al] that died under warranty and had to restore those machines. i had 4 of my personal ones go last year, had several with lots of bad sectors that eventually killed the drive. luckily after a 15 hour repair job, i got the information off the drive. i have noticed a lot of people elsewhere having the same issues.

i have ordered far more than a dozen so maybe im just playing the odds heavier.

all my drives used to work great, i have some still from 10 years ago that still actually work, though i dont use them anymore since they are like 300MB and under, pretty worthless in storage capacity.

its to the point now where mission critical machines i have been running RAID mirrors between 2 drives, with nightly imaging to a 3rd drive, and then backup weekly to flash drives [if the information is small enough

i was just curious is QC has gone way down with these companies or what.

• Members

Actually it's a public service program done by the hard drive companies. Distressed the people haven't yet learned to back up their data regularly, they randomly put in bad drives that will fail. That reminds people of the crucial need to back up when the drive fails.

• Members

Actually it's a public service program done by the hard drive companies. Distressed the people haven't yet learned to back up their data regularly, they randomly put in bad drives that will fail. That reminds people of the crucial need to back up when the drive fails.

That's sweet of them. But we've gotten the message now, so they can stop. Please tell them we said thanks.

• Members

I know that a few years back, we got in a batch of 5-6 Compaqs (in the Win9x days) in which the hard drives all failed, one right after another. We called our Compaq dealer, who told us that Seagate had a run of faulty drives. I believe all were replaced under warranty, or at least those that we "caught."

More recently, we had a similar string of failures, this time the Hitachi or Samsung drives from Sony Vaio laptops. I forget which brand the drives were, but one of those two, and they crapped out like clockwork.

Archived