New kid in town.. L.A. and seeking gigs, sessions..

joeyt

• Members

Hey Guys, I seek advice on getting my talents out in a town like L.A. I dont have any contacts in the studios or live playing circuit. Other than endless ads and open jams, are there any other options? Thanx...

• Moderators

Become part of the scene. Meet everybody involved in the scene that supports your music. Meet everybody... don't schmooze, just hang. Sooner or later you'll start meeting people you like... and they you.

And for sure... do adds. Place them and answer them. But for me, the best way is to know the people you eventually want to work with. That takes time because you're trying to actually get to know people instead of selling yourself. Don't let it take too much time, but don't expect things to happen the first night.

Become a regular. Have a card ready and a demo CD. Don't offer it until the time is right. Meaning, don't hand them out like crazy, give it to someone that actually wants your contact info and is interested in what you've got. Don't be the geek pestering everybody with your skills.

That's how I always did it.

• Members

Hey Guys, I seek advice on getting my talents out in a town like L.A. I dont have any contacts in the studios or live playing circuit. Other than endless ads and open jams, are there any other options? Thanx...

I think you just answered your own question...

1. Develop contacts in the studios or the live playing circuit.

2. Learn NOT to whine like every n00b transplant does.

3. Take it easy, live life, don't act like you're entitled to anything - Being humble actually pays off.

4. Respect where you live now. If you continue to trash it, it WILL trash you.

Archived