Instruments in a record you didn't notice before...

rasputin1963

• Members

When you evaluate a record from a production point-of-view, everything is suddenly different, no?

Today I heard them play Fleetwood Mac's "Over My Head" today... and noticed that the mix includes a banjo part! Who'd a thunk-it? I never noticed it before.

I also noticed that the great R&B classic "Be Thankful For What You Got" by William deVaughn has a very tasteful vibraphone part.

Have you ever noticed a "new" instrument in a mix many years after the fact?

• Moderators

I couldn't believe how loud the whisper track on The Door's Riders On the Storm is. I'd vaguely remembered their being a little whisper thing going on...

Then one day in the car listening to radio and it's cranked compression. Every single word throughout the songs is doubled in a VERY LOUD whisper. An oxymoron to be sure...

I was aware of the banjo bit as Lindsay is one of my favorites. I love his claw hammer stuff taken from the banjo to the guitar and he will throw in a bit of real banjo from time to time as well.

• Members

This isn't quite the same...but recently, I heard "My Sweet Lord" (George Harrison) on my monitors and was utterly floored by how beautifully arranged and recorded and produced the song was. Now, I had always thought that before, but had never really heard it with so much nuance until I played it good and loud on my monitors. It was a revelation. I heard it in a seemingly completely new way, and was deeply impressed.

• Members

When you evaluate a record from a production point-of-view, everything is suddenly different, no?

Today I heard them play Fleetwood Mac's "Over My Head" today... and noticed that the mix includes a banjo part! Who'd a thunk-it? I
never
noticed it before.

I also noticed that the great R&B classic "Be Thankful For What You Got" by William deVaughn has a very tasteful vibraphone part.

Oh man! I love those tunes, especially "Be Thankful..."

• Members

The first time I heard a track from Steely Dan's Aja through a pair of ADAM S3A's, I asked the owner of the monitors if he was playing a new remix of the album I hadn't heard yet. There was a percussion part that was particularly interesting on this "remix".

Nope. Just hearing {censored} that was always there, but that I never heard before. Neat sensation.

• Members

Cool thread!

My first three CDs were Revolver, Abbey Road, and Steely Dan Greatest Hits.

Background vocals on "I'm Only Sleeping" from Revolver.

You'd think the friggin Beach Boys were in the studio!

Guitar solo in Haitian Divorce. If my ears don't deceive me, the solo is played through a talk box and a wah pedal (at the same time). Genius.

Zip

• Members

I'm just getting my new studio set up. I got a new pair of Mackie HR824mkII's + sub and have got the room all tuned up with bass traps now. I've been listening to a set of 'canonical CD tracks' as my guage of how the room response is improving as I've been working on speaker/sub placement, it and adding more traps and moving them around for optimal results.

Now it's just amazingly nice sounding and I've just been flabbergasted at how much stuff is in these tracks that I never heard. Some times it's just little stuff. On this Sheryl Crow tune, there's this shaker thing way over on the far right, like it's almost off the edge of the soundstage, and because of the EQ it sounds like its up over my head. And another whisper thing, on one of the songs on Tigerlily (Natalie Merchant) that I'd never heard before. And on Joan Osborne's Relish, there was all kinds of stuff going on in some of those tunes that I'd never heard, little parts and interplay between instruments on either side.

I've never really had this high quality a listening environment before, and I just find myself getting completely lost in this stuff that I've been listening to for years. It's quite amazing. The bass traps and getting rid of the first reflection points really has just made a huge improvement both in the flatness and tunefullness of the bass and the imaging. The Mackies already image like crazy, but now it's just stupidly good. It sounds like this ten foot wide sound stage a few feet out in front of me.

• Members

listen to anything on a good pair of headphones and watch how it all just jumps out at you

+1

I recently was listening to some old Led Zep stuff on headphones, and I really noticed some extra guitar parts and a lot of production stuff like panning, etc. that I don't remember hearing before.

• Members

Today I heard them play Fleetwood Mac's "Over My Head" today... and noticed that the mix includes a banjo part! Who'd a thunk-it? I
never
noticed it before.

I always tell people when I listen to music in general I pay attention to all the minute/tiny details. People tell me I'm doing the wrong thing and should just "enjoy the music" but the point of enjoying anything is to get the full benefit of it. This makes you appreciate how well engineers and producers work to put an entire sound together.

So yes, I'm always discovering new sound in songs and I love all the little details, this is why I hate over compressed music because it distroys the freaking quality and all the sweetness.

Patrick/AI

• Members

Speaking of Fleetwood Mac..and taking a slightly different tack.

My band was running through "Sara" as a possible add to our list.

So me and the guitarist are playing through it...him on 12-string acoustic and me on piano...and I'm like "I don't know it's missing something."

I really listened to the tonal qualities and although I've never heard it mentioned and it wasn't in the liner notes, it sounded like there was a hammered dulcimer mixed in there.

So I have a pretty damn good patch of that instrument on one of my boards, and I mixed it in there, and it gave me the sound I was looking for...even if it wasn't there to begin with.

• Members

Walter Egan's "Magnet and Steel" has a toy piano on the chorus.

(also used by Seals and Crofts on "Summer Breeze")

The oddly-recorded horn splats on Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now" (particularly on the bridge) was actually a multi-tracked Mini-Moog.

(As a keyboardist that made me feel kinda stupid when I realized that).

• Members

This isn't quite the same...but recently, I heard "My Sweet Lord" (George Harrison) on my monitors and was utterly floored by how beautifully arranged and recorded and produced the song was. Now, I had always thought that before, but had never really heard it with so much nuance until I played it good and loud on my monitors. It was a revelation. I heard it in a seemingly completely new way, and was deeply impressed.

That Grand-Canyon reverb made the opening volley of acoustics sound ginormous.

My favorite point of that song is when that mournful, reverent-sounding harmonium comes in.

• Members

never
noticed it before.

the steel guitar part in "Lay Your Head On My Pillow" by Tony Toni Tone

• Members

Just a couple of weeks ago on the compact disk Yellow Submarine by The Beatles, there was a Sub-contrabass clarinet in the song "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" which wasn't there the first time I listen to it. Next time the clarinet was gone but a Serpent played. Possibly a technical defect; I returned the CD and was refunded. Well, at least I owned once a Beatles recording for a few days, but it was spooky

• Members

Just a couple of weeks ago on the compact disk Yellow Submarine by The Beatles, there was a Sub-contrabass clarinet in the song "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" which wasn't there the first time I listen to it. Next time the clarinet was gone but a Serpent played. Possibly a technical defect; I returned the CD and was refunded. Well, at least I owned once a Beatles recording for a few days, but it was spooky

The last time I saw a guy playing a "Sub-contrabass clarinet" was the time when the Serpent was on the drum kit. Perhaps Ringo fooled you?

• Members

You are so not allowed to listen to the White Album!

Can't have you going all Charlie Manson on us.

• Members

I'm using 'Rockbox' on my mp3 player (http://www.rockbox.org/), it has a 'karaoke' setting which effectively removes anything mixed dead center, so all kinds of things jump out (when typically the lead vocal, bass, and most of the drum kit goes away). You can get a similar effect in Windows Media Player by tweaking the SRS Wow effect all the way to the right (this will leave the stuff in the center but amplify the side-mixed sounds). I used to do this by hooking a speaker's leads to both positives on the back of my receiver, but that may or may not be good for the electronics. Also known as a Hafler circuit or out of phase stereo (OOPS) depending on who has (re)discovered it this week.

Archived