CLEAR CHANNEL WILL NOT PLAY NEW SPRINGSTEEN

sventvkg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well... it really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Clear Channel has its own agenda and it doesn't have much of anything to do with music but much to do with paid plays, copromotions, and, of course, keeping their airwaves free of any sort of music that might provoke thought that would be uncomfortable for Clear Channel's none-too subtle politics.

• Members

CC ? What's that , Radio?? Whats that ????

Exactly....let them fight for the the last scraps of yesterday's medium. That's what kills me about the RIAA and companies like Clear Channel....if they would just embrace the new technology, invest in it and see how their business would thrive.

Or, keep your Luddite attitude, sue people, promote and fight for an old school medium....and see how things work out. Good plan.:thu:

• Members

It's not political, it's a business strategy. These guyus know that the future of music doesn't lie in the geriatric musician crowd.

I think it's a stupid strategy, but that's their prerogative.

By the way, if I read the article correctly, it's not just Clear Channel doing this. According to the article, no radio is playing the stuff, except independently owned ones. We have one here locally (KPND) which plays a very eclectic mix of new, old, rock, including blues, roots, folk, classic rock, and alt rock. But these stations are few and far between.

• Members

Exactly....let them fight for the the last scraps of yesterday's medium. That's what kills me about the RIAA and companies like Clear Channel....if they would just embrace the new technology, invest in it and see how their business would thrive.

Or, keep your Luddite attitude, sue people, promote and fight for an old school medium....and see how things work out. Good plan.
:thu:

I get your point, but how long do you think the 'new medium' will thrive once artists who made it through the 'old medium' pass on and none of the newer bands are making any money because everything they produce is being provided for free? In other words, it's one thing for Radiohead, Madonna, Paul McCartney, etc, who were made what they are by the tight control that used to exist in record companies to now thumb their noses at them. They can embrace the new media, because they're known entities. What about bands coming up now?

I don't have the answer, by the way, and so far, I haven't heard anyone who does.

• Members

This is what happens when you allow a large corporate entity to own as many stations as Clear Channel does. This is why the corporatization of radio, especially, by corporations beholden to certain political agendas, adds up to the end of free speach in America.

Springsteen has been very outspoken against the Bush administration and are a few songs on this CD that reflect his political view.

It is the same with music as it is with news; fewer voices, means fewer options, which equals homogenized corporate radio that sensors both news and music. It happened to the Dixie Chicks and now it is happening to Bruce.

Welcome to the 50's all over again.

When will people rise up and say

• Members

I get your point, but how long do you think the 'new medium' will thrive once artists who made it through the 'old medium' pass on and none of the newer bands are making any money because everything they produce is being provided for free? In other words, it's one thing for Radiohead, Madonna, Paul McCartney, etc, who were made what they are by the tight control that used to exist in record companies to now thumb their noses at them. They can embrace the new media, because they're known entities. What about bands coming up now?

I don't have the answer, by the way, and so far, I haven't heard anyone who does.

Me either, and I completely agree with you. Somebody has to step up and fill the void in terms of large scale promotion, that record labels and radio used to fill. I think it'll possibly be independent producers and promotional people. There are a lot of unemployed former label and radio execs now who actually do know something about music and that's why today's labels and radio stations have no use for them. Some of them are starting their own companies.

• Members

It's not political, it's a business strategy. These guyus know that the future of music doesn't lie in the geriatric musician crowd.

I think it's a stupid strategy, but that's their prerogative.

The future of music lies in music that people want to listen to, whether it's from 10-year-olds or 100-year-olds. Isn't it ironic that one place this "over the hill, one foot in the grave" guy can get airplay is COLLEGE STATIONS run by people old enough to be his son or even grandson? I guess these wacky college kids haven't gotten the memo that it doesn't matter what the music sounds like, what matters is the age of the person making the music.

I would understand if Springsteen's album stiffed. But it hasn't. It's selling well across a wide range of buyers.

I hope someone DOES sue them. But not for age discrimation--for stupidity above and beyond the call of duty.

• Members

The death of radio has harmed record sales more than illegal trading in my opinion. My cd and itunes purchase have probably quadrupled in the last year because I now get a video channel that actually plays new and interesting stuff. Things I would never have heard otherwise.

• CMS Author

Support your local (or not so local since many of them stream over the Internet) community, college, or independent radio station. Send them a little cash when they beg. Find a few that play what you like and tell them you like what they're playing.

Who needs Clear Channel, other than maybe when you're in your car?

• Members

T Isn't it ironic that one place this "over the hill, one foot in the grave" guy can get airplay is COLLEGE STATIONS run by people old enough to be his son or even grandson? I guess these wacky college kids haven't gotten the memo that it doesn't matter what the music
sounds
like, what matters is the

All the more ironic since it was probably a 40-ish know-it-all executive who spent his college years listening to those same college radio stations who made the decision not to risk playing the new stuff. "That Sprinsteen guy's getting old, better not risk it!"

Reminds me of a Zappa interview I heard on Youtube once.

• Members

The future of music lies in music
that people want to listen to
, whether it's from 10-year-olds or 100-year-olds.

But someone still has to be the gatekeeper - if you never hear it in the first place, how can you know if it's something that you'll want to hear? Lord knows I don't wanna dig though a 1000 wretched myspace bands to find a good a good one.

• Members

:lol:
Yeah, and they're doing it using public airwaves, too.

I can't believe no one's brought an antitrust suit against these idiots yet.

These guys clearly don't believe that these are public airwaves. That is a quaint New Deal bit of language for them. You can search over on opensecrets.org for their political contributions. The Mays family of San Antonio that runs Clear Channel has direct and indirect political contributions of 400k+ in the just the last three election cycles. That is only the tip of the iceberg. If you look for the contributions of executives in their operating companies you will find that they have displayed a keen interest in politics. I saw one who had invested over 70k. Now, that's what I call rooting for the home team.

If you look at who gets those contributions you will find that they really seem to take an interest in the races of House and Senate leaders and those on the Judiciary Comm. Judiciary handles antitrust.

• Members

Yeah, and they're doing it using public airwaves, too.

I can't believe no one's brought an antitrust suit against these idiots yet.

The reason it hasn't and won't happen is that the suit would be a hopeless cause, aside from possible bad publicity. CC knows that their buddy 'W' has stocked the supreme court with corporatecrats who would definitely rule in favor of any corporation over any public interest, regardless of the cases merits.

One should not commit the folly of thinking the courts have anything to do with justice.

• Members

... Welcome to the 50's all over again ...

You and the other "evil corporation" types here haven't progressed beyond the 1960s, either. :D

There would be no complaints if the music you liked was being "Clear-Channeled" to the top. You only oppose the content, but not the principle. There is no call-to-arms against the agenda of "public" radio/television because you agree with the content. At least Clear Channel is a private enterprise where citizens risk, and make, their own money without being on the public dole.

Besides, to some people, Springsteen sucks. :p

At this rate, I'm looking forward to the 70s coming back again, because I like a lot of that music.

• Members

Yes, and what people don't realize is that while the airwaves may be 'free', the means to broadcast over them isn't. It takes a huge investment to set up a broadcast network. And unlike PBS and NPR, companies like Clear Channel pay taxes, and lots of them.

Not really defending them, because I do think they suck, and their programming decisions are asinine, but fair is fair, and I agree with Prog-the outrage seems to be more over content, not the use of the airwaves themelves.

Archived