Computer Gurus, I need help!

daklander

• Members

This machine I'm dual booting with Win2K and PCLOS. The monitor is a P1110 HP and I believe the video card is a S3 ProSavage8 pci card, onboard disabled.

Here's the problem: I lose the monitor running in Win2K. Operation time varies from an hour or two to next to nothing. Sometimes turning the monitor off and back on will reset it and it'll work for awhile. Sometimes that reset only lasts for a blip. Booted to PCLOS the monitor is solid and stable.

What the hell is going on? I'd think if it were a monitor issue it would not make a difference which OS. Same holds true for the card, IMO, so...driver? I made no changes, no new installs, nothing. The problem just started up when I booted up a couple of days ago.

• Members

Weird, man. Sounds like you got it right. Win2K driver is messed up, somehow. Did you do any recent sw install before the monitor issue started? I'm thinking driver conflict, maybe... ?

Jeff, I did nothing. The last time I used Win2K, before this happened, all was good. Lately I only boot to Windows to burn Lightscribe CD labels because, so far, the Linux Lightscribe is pretty basic. Anyway, I burned a couple of labels, logged off and shut the computer down. I rebooted to PCLOS and used if for a week or so and wanted to burn a couple more Lightscribe CDs and on that boot up the problems began. I've rebooted several times and the problem keeps happening so I've booted back to PCLOS and all's fine again.

:shrug:

• Members

You ALWAYS do something. The usual problem is that you don't know what and when.

Yeah Mike, I did do something. I used the pc with Win2K to burn some Lightscribe labels. It, the system was fine as was the monitor. I completed my task and did a normal shut down and rebooted to PCLOS, the Linux distro I use. A couple of days later I decided to burn some more Lightscribe labels so I did a normal shut down and rebooted to Win2K. The problem then manifested itself. So, yes, I did do something. What I didn't do is make any changes to the system, program, anything. I did not access the web.

• Members

I know this sounds rudimentary but have you checked W2K's screen saver and power saver settings?

Is your monitor going into and out of screen saver mode ok under Linux?

I had an off-brand monitor that was fine until one day it decided it didn't like waking up from power saver mode. I woke it back up a few times and tried to prevent it from being turned off (since it would power back on 'stuck' in power saver mode) but somehow it got back in powersaver mode one last time and there was no salvaging it. It's on its way to the toxic dump...

In that case it wasn't anything that changed in Windows but rather the monitor that wacked. That's obviously not necessarily your case but it's one more thing to check.

• Members

I know this sounds rudimentary but have you checked W2K's screen saver and power saver settings?

Is your monitor going into and out of screen saver mode ok under Linux?

I had an off-brand monitor that was fine until one day it decided it didn't like waking up from power saver mode. I woke it back up a few times and
tried
to prevent it from being turned off (since it would power back on 'stuck' in power saver mode) but somehow it got back in powersaver mode one last time and there was no salvaging it. It's on its way to the toxic dump...

In that case it wasn't anything that changed in Windows but rather the monitor that wacked. That's obviously not necessarily your case but it's one more thing to check.

I did not check the W2K settings because I didn't make any changes But it won't hurt. Actually, most times there isn't time to really start digging before the monitor quits so the thing is, will there be enough time to re-install the driver....

I'm going to try to delete it and hopefully have the time to reboot before losing the monitor.

All seems well with Linux, going from user, to screen saver to suspend to power off and back to user when needed.

Archived