Anyone Here Using 64-bit Vista for Audio?

Anderton

• Members

I've taken the Vista plunge, now I'm ramping up to the 64-Bit Vista Challenge.

Of course Sonar works with it, as does MOTU's Ultralite interface, so I covered for DAW and audio. Do other music programs work with Vista 64? Do the ones that claim Vista compatibility only run with 32-bit Vista? Can you mix and match 64-bit and 32-bit programs in the 64-bit environment and have them work? I'm hoping for a few guidelines before I start seeing what works and what doesn't...

• Members

getting ready to load 64bit Vista. which version did you go with? im going with "business" as the best choice, only one w/o MCE on it and lacks all the other crap as well. and while it isnt much of an issue YET, it supports 128GB+ of RAM whereas home is limited to 8/16GB. mobos however are limited between 8GB-32GB RAM currently.

• Members

oh and im goign to be testing the Adobe Master Suite, Maya, C4D, ACAD, Nuendo, and some other apps. doing a dual boot with XP with mirrored installs [or at least all that works in vista]. i know Adobe runs in 32bit mode. i think the new Nuendo will do 64bit, but better news supports VST3 with much improved routing i hear!!!

• Members

I may have mentioned this in an earlier post:

I'm running SONAR 6 PRO x64 on VISTA x64.

What I discovered is that SONAR x64 "finds" all my VST's and VSTi's just fine; however, it cannot locate the vast majority of my DX's and DXi's.... This is a major bummer to me, because four or five of my DX plugins I think of as being absolutely indispensable...

So I'm running SONAR 6 PRO x32 instead.

P.S. My (not so) old copy of Steinberg WAVELAB cannot run on VISTA. Another bummer!

• Members

Running Vista 64 and Sonar 64 here.

I could write a book about it. The sound is incredible, The pops, clicks and stutters are not. Basically using multi processor is a pointless excercise. Yes, no DXis. Bit Bridge only touches one side of the ravine with all its crashing. More like Bit Bridge to another dimension.

Reverb tails are a thing of beauty.

That's pretty much the experience. They need more work on Vista and Sonar operating at low latency. I get much less work done than in WinXP with Sonar 32. I am always chasing glitches.

It reminds me of living in California. When I make a list of why I am still here, only the weather comes to mind.

• CMS Author

I've taken the Vista plunge, now I'm ramping up to the 64-Bit Vista Challenge.

Of course Sonar works with it, as does MOTU's Ultralite interface, so I covered for DAW and audio. Do other music programs work with Vista 64? Do the ones that claim Vista compatibility only run with 32-bit Vista?

Well, I can't think of anyone better than you to find out. Just don't give up your day job. ;)

The scuttlebutt that I've heard is that some hardware that doesn't currently have Vista drivers can be made to work using a backward compatibility mode. Another rumor is that plug-ins are running behind (probalby because there are so many of 'em) and that while host programs are starting to show up with Vista versions, you'll lose the use of some of your favorite plug-ins for a while.

Me, I'm still plugging along with Win98SE in the studio, plus a couple of XP and one Win2000 machines for doing real work. I figure that vista is at least a couple of years in the future for me, unless someone gives me a program or hardware deveice that I absolutely MUST have that requires Vista. If that ever happens, it'll probably be so good that I'll feel like dedicating a new computer to it and starting from there, with the new toys as the baseline rather than trying to slam Vista into what's already working smoothly.

• Members

My latest laptop came with VSTi 64 and I will be installing Sonar 7 on it this weekend. For sound I use a MOTU UltraLite which has given me no issues. I have been running Project5 on it and testing a few VSTi's. Some of them, such as Novation V-Station refused to install. It is a work computer so I also have Office 2007 Pro, Visual Studio 2005 Pro, Expression Studio and Great Plains Dynamics. All programs from Microsoft. Great Plains has been a major headache. Visual Studio required a service pack update to run on VSTi. The major issue I run into is Microsoft wanting to seperate 32 and 64 bit programs into different "Program File" directories and some programs not dealing well with that. For some of those programs the solution has been to install outside of the "Program File" direcotry.

Overall I have run into enough problems that the music computer I am currently building will NOT have Vista. Yes, my dream machine with the Core2Quad 2.60, 4 Gig of PC800 memory and professional level 750 Gig SATA drives will NOT be getting VSTi of any type. Not for another year. I have a new copy of XP Pro ready for a clean install. But, I will see how Sonar does on my laptop 64 this weekend.

Robert

• Members

Btw - I think you can do that but you need to install a 3rd OS (Win2K or WinXP) as an intermediate step.

Install Win98 first.

Then install Win2K or WinXP (it will become a dual-boot)

Then install Vista (it will become a tripple-boot)

In that situation you would have to answer two boot menus in order to get to Win98.

• Members

I just ordered parts from Neweggg to build a new 64-bit system that I should have built by the end of next week. It was pretty damn cheap actually (less than $600):

AMD Athlon X2 4400+ 65 watt CPU

Abit AN-M2HD Motherboard

4GB DDR2 800 RAM

(2) 250 Seagate SATA 3.0GB Hard Drives (will be setup in RAID 0)

Antec NSK2480 Case

Samsung 20X DVD Burner (SATA)

I'll be putting on Vista Ultimate 64-bit first. If the 64-bit thing doesn't work too well then I'll go back to 32. More later!

Archived