Help!! Pitchbend wheel gone mad.

boosh

• Members

I have this weird problem,...

I use an Oxygen 8 midi keyboard and when I use it with reason the bitchbendwheel on every device I create keeps moving up and down.

I can reset it to zero but in a few seconds it starts moving again,....

Do I need to update my keyboard drivers??

Mr.Ladoza? Can you help me here? Or Craig?

Booshy

• Members

Does it move just one or two counts, or is it going berserk and the values swinging wildly up & down?

It is very common for pitch wheels, and other MIDI continuous controllers, to hop up and down by one or two counts due to wavering of the electrical signal level from the wheel, before the circuitry converts the signal into a number.

It could indicate a malfunction, such as the power supply of the keyboard having poor filtering; that would also cause the wheel's output signal to waver. But consider that the pitch wheel is a 14 bit value (varies from -8192 to +8191), one or two counts aren't going to be audible unless you have a strobe tuner built into your brain.

Ok, maybe you'd hear it if you reprogrammed the pitch wheel to sweep over a few octaves... possibly.

• Members

This may not be applicable to a controller however years ago I bought a Roland JV-30 at a pawn shop and the pitch bender was similarly erratic. My first inclination was to get the scope out and start probing but then I found the master reset codes for the unit on the internet and that straightened the unit right out.

• Members

going berserk and the values swinging wildly up & down?

This exactly what happens. It's very annoying. I never use the damn pitchwheel. I found a way to switch these functions off though in Nuendo and Reason but it's still very annoying.

• Members

This exactly what happens. It's very annoying. I never use the damn pitchwheel. I found a way to switch these functions off though in Nuendo and Reason but it's still very annoying.

Ah, that's a problem... Something in there is broke. You could filter out all pitch messages from the MIDI, but it is still there clogging up the midi channel with bogus data.

It might be worth trying to open it up & see if it's a broken wire or circuit card connection. But unless you're an electronics guy, you'd be better off having somebody else fix it - - some keyboards are like swiss watches - once you lift the cover off, pieces fall out in every direction.

• Members

Well because I was so pissed and I'm not that of a repairman I picked up the keyboard ans smashed it on the floor.

Guess what!?

The problem is gone and it went back to working normal,.........

DUH.

Ahh, Grasshopper... Now you may claim to have mastered the esoteric art of percussive maintenance!! Use your powers wisely, and for the good of others. :cool:

Archived