Does anyone know where to get this gorgeous Ethiopian music? (videos)

UstadKhanAli

• Members

I fully realize that for many of you, this is going to be strange music, and you won't care for it very much. But for a small percentage of you, you're going to find it utterly enthralling.

I have a large collection of Ethiopian music, including one of the Ethiopian harp.

But I'm not sure where to get Orthodox Tewahdo (Tewahedo) music. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Enjoy:

The bellsing of God

Orthodox spiritual song, Begena

• Members

I used to work at a radio station where we had an Eritrean show. I really liked the snippet of song that the guy used for his intro, so I asked him where I could get it. He said he didn't know anywhere to get it, but he gave me a cassette of some other Eritrean music. It was cool for one or two listens, but after that I noticed that the beat and groove was the same in every song, and got kind of tired of it.

I'm not sure if I've heard any Ethiopian music specifically, but I think it's kind of similar to Eritrean. After all, their cultures are very similar except for the fact that they hate each other, right?

Actually, on second thought, we had an Ethiopian show too, I just don't remember the music they played.

• Members

The cultures are extremely similar, as Eritrea split off, so yeah, you're absolutely right.

My all time favorite Ethiopian music is easily "Ethiopiques 4". It sounds like jazz musicians playing snake charmer music. Seriously infectious. If that description sounds really great, you should go out of your way to try and hear it. It's soooo good. I've turned a lot of people on to that one, including a couple of DJs who have played the heck out of that on Los Angeles college radio.

Archived