Playing with 9 & 11 year old girls

LiveMusic

• Members

No, not like that, you bastids. :love:

I have a "big" show next week in my hometown and I may have gotten myself into something I shouldn't have but it's too late, now. An acquaintance approached me to see if I'd help him get his daughters started singing onstage. They sing at church now. But anyway, they are very sweet, very cute. They'll be knockouts when they grow up.

They don't sing as well as I expected. They're just okay but they are very young! I actually do hear potential but to say that "they are great" is just not true. They are just okay.

It FLOORS me to think that Leann Rhymes was 11 when she recorded "Blue!"

They've never sang with a mic before. The oldest one keeps moving her head too much as she bebops with the beat. Maybe if I let them hold the mic in their hand, it would be better?

Main question... sometimes they drag behind the beat. The younger one, I think is doing it. They have only sang with cd's but I am playing my guitar live. And at this show it will be me and two other bandmates. Their "debut," haha.

Just wondering if you think I should maintain a strict rhythm and let it be a trainwreck or should I try to alter my playing to let them catch up? Anyone got any experience with this?

They are quite cute and I do get a kick out of their exuberance. The little one is writing songs! Words and music. She sang me one, pretty good!

P.S. Some songs we will probably choose from. We'll choose two.

Chawing Chewing Gum, Carter Family

Goodbye Earl, Dixie Chicks (my choice, they do it well)

I'll Fly Away, traditional (my choice, they do it well)

Will The Circle Be Unbroken, traditional

Jackson, Johnny/June Cash (not the best choice since it's about man/woman)

• Members

Teach 'em if you can. Teach rhythm and give some pointers, but without being really dogmatic, harsh, strict, or whatever, and see if they respond to that. At that age, kids can already have a fairly sophisticated sense of rhythm, so it doesn't hurt to try and teach a little bit, or show them a little bit about that.

• Members

"Just wondering if you think I should maintain a strict rhythm and let it be a trainwreck or should I try to alter my playing to let them catch up? Anyone got any experience with this?"

In my opinion as an accompanist you have to make them sound as good as you can- this means doing what you can to stay with them, queue them, keep it from falling apart, etc. No one wins if you stick to the beat and make it a train wreck.

• Members

a good accompanist will both lead and follow, what will be utmost important is that the kids will sing at the same time so you can slow down if they do and also push them a bit time wise. In practice always give them something to latch on beat wise. Think up ways to make it fun and never anything strict.

• Members

"Jackson" is a Love Song. Change the word "we" in the lyrics to "they" and it will work for two girls. Otherwise it would have lesbian overtones. Introduce it as a tribute to the late Johnny and June, and the audience will love it.

"Goodbye Earl" might be a fun song, but it's about spousal abuse, conspiring to plot murder, committing murder, and getting away with it. Do they sing that in church?

Back to your original question about timing....

I'd emphasize the need for it at rehearsals, have them practice to CDs, make them aware of the importance of proper timing, etc.

But

When it comes performance time, follow them, mistakes and all!

It's the Pro Thing to do.

• Members

Record your practices, even with a little microcassette and make them listen back. It will teach them way more than you can. IF, they've got the music in them.

That's a great idea. However, be very careful. Even adults can get too discouraged with this. Kids are even more vulnerable. Make sure to balance with lots of compliments!

• Members

Right now, it's down to these four.

Chewing Gum, Carter Family (songwriting has come a long way!)

I'll Fly Away, traditional

Will The Circle Be Unbroken, traditional

Ring Of Fire, Johnny Cash

Goodbye Earl is uptempo and they love it but it's a bit too hard for them to sing well at this time. Their timing is all over the place.

Yes, I compliment them a lot and I go easy when I am explaining something. The youngest one got her feelings hurt over something the first rehearsal and clammed up for awhile. I still don't know why. It might have even been jealousy towards her sister. Beats me. Her mom said she was having a pity party. I didn't ask why as we were all right there together and I didn't want her to cry.

They're really not ready for this but we're doing it anyway. It's their first time singing on mic and singing with real instruments. I think they're at least one year away from being ready. But, you gotta start somewhere.

They need some music lessons. And singing lessons. Back in my day, we had that at school!

I figure it will go over well. They are really cute girls. Personality plus.

Archived