Been working on studio construction this week...

Ani

• Members

I know that it's taking forever, but I've been working on converting the garage into a studio as time and finances allow...

This week, 5 consecutive days off, I've been doing quite a bit of wiring and tearing out fixtures (an old built in work bench & some soiled shelving) that have been in the way of progressing to where I need to be. Now that I have all access to areas that will be completely redone, I've put together a better idea of how I'm going go with permanent structures.

Forgive the rough, half-ended 3-D design, but this is the best I can do for now to get the idea across of how I'm going to do the North wall of the studio... The window will be recessed with a mini-can light between the window and the extended wall. The slants on each side will allow for a closed bookshelf/mini closet underneath the window. For now, I'll be leaving the floor as concrete, with a granite finish.

Slide1.JPG

• Members

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do the gradient fade with paint, although I did custom paint some metal picture frames and the mats inside of them to match my decor one time. I used a red base coat (spray paint) and then misted a layer of black over the red. The effect was really cool!

I was debating whether to go with a wood final surface, or stay with firecode sheetrock as initially planned. It's 5/8" thick and harder than hell to handle alone. I already have about four 4 x 8 sheets of 1/2" plywood that have been stored out in the rafters of the garage since I bought the home. I pondered the thought of pulling those down and staining them a cherry wood finish or a finish that would compliment cherry wood; my studio furniture is a deep cherry wood and black.

I haven't actually pulled the plywood down yet to look them over for flaws, but the parts visible look to be in quality condition; I didn't need them in my way while I was drilling the studs for the wiring. They don't appear to have ever been used before, so no nail holes to trash out the appearance of them.

I'm not sure at the moment if it would be wise to go up with a wood surface whenever I "like" to decorate walls... With sheet rock, you can move things around and just patch the nail holes and paint over them. With wood, it's an entirely different subject. Also, if I mess up even the slightest bit whenever I go to cut the holes for the receptacle boxes; putty will cover a mis cut on sheet rock if I was a smidgen off... wood blemishes stand out like a sore thumb even with wood putty fillers.

Something that I did notice though... it's good that I took the time to do the drawing above because it alerted me to something that I had not even considered when buying the supplies along the way. All of the outlets that I have bought are WHITE!!! They would stand out on that darker background like headlights in a pitch black forest. :eek: I was going to install the receptacles today, but I haven't been to the store to exchange the white for a darker color; preferably brown if they still make them in brown. I've got the wire in place and all of the boxes installed; just waiting for my daughter to call so that I can pick her up from her musical rehearsal. (Dress rehearsal tonight for a Thursday-Saturday showing) If she gets out in time; I'll swap out the white outlets tonight. I have to go back to work tomorrow, but I'm far enough along that I can taste the passion for getting back into the studio again. The outlets won't take much time at all to install now that all the drilling and wiring has been stranded.

For this segment, I hope to have the wiring complete within the next week and the fiberglass up before it gets too cold outside. I plan on heating the studio THIS winter.... I've already got most of the fiberglass bought, but not the sheet rock.... the sheet rock might have to wait so that I can catch up on finances again. Taking time off doesn't provide any extra income with overtime.

• Members

in the center !!!

I would record immediately some pop hits with intimate confessions in French, Spanish and English and put some music underneath, and start
www.confessional-box.com
where virgin peeper can pander their curiosity for $1.50 per 3 minute shrift session

beichtstuhl.jpg

Haha, you laugh.

Here's a studio built in an old church building.

The sanctuary makes a great acoustic space for a live room, and with just a little work, the confessional would be a terrific vocal booth.;)

• Members

It's been done several times before. A recent issue of Mix had a 70s retrospective which, IIRC, mentioned 2 studios in NYC that were in old churches. I think they're often a good choice for a build out - big, open space, usually with some sort of "stage" area, and rooms immediately adjacent for booths, control rooms...

• Members

If you are putting that much into it, you need to be thinking about sound treatment. It'll never be easier to do it. A marble floor and wood walls or bare sheetrock walls will not a good studio make. You should build a fake wall out a couple inches from the real walls (4x1's) and fill it with 4" of 703 all around, then put some kind of covering over that that is somewhat reflective at higher frequencies. And put carpet on the floors. That would make for an infinitely better result.

Better to have a crap looking room that sounds right than a beautiful room that you can't mix in.

• Members

If you are putting that much into it, you need to be thinking about sound treatment. It'll never be easier to do it. A marble floor and wood walls or bare sheetrock walls will not a good studio make. You should build a fake wall out a couple inches from the real walls (4x1's) and fill it with 4" of 703 all around, then put some kind of covering over that that is somewhat reflective at higher frequencies. And put carpet on the floors. That would make for an infinitely better result.

Better to have a crap looking room that sounds right than a beautiful room that you can't mix in.

This seems a bit contradictory to the specs I've been collecting along the way. I can see building dummy walls (room inside a room) but this is the first I've heard where someone said carpet on the "floors" was better than marble on the floor (or wood for that matter). From my understanding, carpet on the floor would KILL the sound. :confused:

• Members

Marble on the floor would be extremely reflective. It might have some benefits in some circustances for tracking. Are you building a separate room for mixing? If not, then mixing in that room is also important. But anyway, I'm one of those people that believes that having the same room sound on every single thing you record isn't desirable and that the room should add no character, and that character should be added after the fact as required for the song.

• Members

I don't marble is the kind of reflection you want and certainly don't want cement.

Wood is better.

Just a thought. You could Carpet the floors since its a garage to help with cold floor syndrome in the winter. The build a small stage with a wood top. For drums and/or sitting with a guitar or whatever. If you do build a stage make sure you fill the cavity beneath the stage with insulation to prevent booms.

• Members

maybe ani has an idea of a sound she is going for. i for one have been in too many dead/"treated" studios that sound horrible. there is a balance needed rather than a totality of one/the other.

marble floors/wood walls will be reflective. this may be suited to ani's needs as i dont think she will be tracking koRn type bands in there.

real music has real reflections. i record live music for my main income. reflections exist, deal with it.

• Members

maybe ani has an idea of a sound she is going for. i for one have been in too many dead/"treated" studios that sound horrible. there is a balance needed rather than a totality of one/the other.

marble floors/wood walls will be reflective. this may be suited to ani's needs as i dont think she will be tracking koRn type bands in there.

real music has real reflections. i record live music for my main income. reflections exist, deal with it.

Thanks Coaster,

Someday, if ever a day should come that I can afford one, I would love to place a full size Steinway Grand piano in that area. That will be the only room in my entire home large enough to accommodate the piano without feeling cramped unless I were to sacrifice my dedicated living room space. I don't WANT the crisp tones that sparkle with brilliance to sound muffed. To have a carpet in that room would be, IMO, the equivalent to weary jersey gloves to play a stringed harp.

I have a sound corner that can be used for recording vox, and if need be, I can mix in another area inside of my home. Once my children are grown, the room that my son now uses as a bedroom will be incorporated into the studio. It will be my control room if I don't win the lottery or strike it rich and decide to move out of this place... HA HA!

Archived