Keyboardist for Hire... Stadium Gigs only, please

Gus Lozada

Jokes aside, I want to share this story with you, guys...

There is this band, called MOENIA.

They are the number one synth pop band in Latin America.

I happen to be their friend, worked with them producing some tracks for one of their records, I interviewed them for what ended up being the first appearance of a Mexican band in KEYBOARD Magazine back in 2001.

My own band is also a synth pop project named WoM but I

• Members

Wow, so cool.

In all my travels, I have most valued my Mexican audiences.... Whereas my American audiences would laugh and drink and carry on during my music, my Mexican audiences would sit and shut up and focus right on me and my music.... Sometimes they'd even shed a little tear if I was singing a sad song... I couldn't believe it! :eek: They were less worried about the visuals (a blessing in my case) and perfectly intent on the music.

Gus, you guys still take art, poetry and music very seriously!:thu:

• Members

Congrats on the exposure Gus; sounds like you enjoyed yourself quite a bit. From the pics posted, it "looks" like you had a great time too.

Perhaps your preparedness and willingness to perform on a moments notice will gain you more than a one night sit in; maybe it might open some other doors for both you and WoM.

Did you just go use their gear? How did you access their sequences? Did you have to learn the live arrangements, etc?

Actually I was in charge of the main computer with the sequences, which are set in Digital Performer. I did not bring any equipment with me, so I used theirs, a Nord Lead 3 and a Novation X-Station. They are very careful on what is onstage with them for looks, performance and overall concept of the band and stage.

I've done some stuff with them in the past so I happen to know very well some of their songs. Remember also that I'm their "fan", meaning that I happen to listen once in a while their music. I have also played several of their songs lots of times with cover bands and/or my solo-cover gigs and seen them playing live several times in the past, so I had a good idea about what they do and they don't on stage.

On the other hand, I guess many of us can tell the harmonic structure of a song almost immediately when you happen to know the band's style, so for songs I've never played before, it was a mater of using a pad and finding the right harmony. Sometimes I even played a single note only while moving the synth's filters.

Funny enough, the audience was more interested on seeing how do you move those tiny knobs live instead of playing the keys :evil: but it was fun to approach the crowd and do some "synth magic" for them :D

Those guys rock. I was their fan and will still be. Last night was only a fan's dream came true...

Archived