What does this mean?

Magpel

• Members

My 10 1/2 year old boy and I hit the mall yesterday with music on our minds.

At the Best Buy, we bought five CDs--three for him and two for me.

I bought:

The first album by The Ditty Bops (2004) and Kismet by Jesca Hoop (2007).

The boy bought:

Magical Mystery Tour (1967), Abbey Road (1969) and Are You Experienced

(1967).

For your consideration...

• Members

It mean's ya'll have GOOD Taste in music
:thu:

I LOve all these albums, but I haven't heard the Jesca Hoop record, but I'll look for it. The Ditty Bops are cooooooool.

Russ

Nashville

I love the Ditty Bops and I could--literally--look at Amanda Barrett all day long.

• Members

That's funny... back in '67 I went to the record store with my old man and he bought "Are You Experienced" and I bought the Ditty Bops... of course, I couldn't play it 'til recently because I didn't have the Mp3 playback technology...

:D

Actually, the Ditty Bops (judging from my first in-depth 90 seconds with them -- first song, "Walk or Die" fromt hat album) seem to have a properly mid-60's camp feel that wouldn't have been too out of place back then (except the drums are in the middle instead of on one side ;) ).

It is infectious as hell.

I'll be slicing both albums into my typical Sunday morning fare of bluegrass and old fashioned gospel... thanks for the indirect tip!

Since I don't read what's left of the rock press or listen to the radio, I have to grab my cues as to what's interesting from... well... you guys. (And my 3DW pals -- but they're all youngsters, so, of course, they're listening to 60s music. :D Although that's how I got turned on to Iron & Wine, Devendra Banhart, and some other new faves.)

FWIW, my mom liked the Mamas and Papas and Jefferson Airplane. And my old man like Nilsson. (Maybe not that big a stretch for a guy who cut his teeth on big bands and swing.) But he wasn't actually a Jimi fan... I made that up. ;)

• Members

In your long and storied history of temporal contortion and reasoning by Martha Graham, this post is...special. I know you abstain, but was there something extra in your coffee today?

You'd love the Ditty Bops album, btw. Some of it is indeed retro camp (very well written retro camp), and other things enter that Froom-land art song territory that I love so well.

That's funny... back in '67 I went to the record store with my old man and
he
bought "Are You Experienced" and
I
bought the Ditty Bops... of course, I couldn't play it 'til recently because I didn't have the Mp3 playback technology...

Actually, the Ditty Bops (judging from my first in-depth 90 seconds with them -- first song, "Walk or Die" fromt hat album) seem to have a properly mid-60's camp feel that wouldn't have been too out of place back then (except the drums are in the
middle
instead of on one side
;)
).

It
is
infectious as hell.

I'll be slicing both albums into my typical Sunday morning fare of bluegrass and old fashioned gospel...
thanks for the indirect tip!

Since I don't read what's left of the rock press or listen to the radio, I have to grab my cues as to what's interesting from... well... you guys. (And my 3DW pals -- but they're all youngsters, so, of course, they're listening to 60s music.
Although that's how I got turned on to Iron & Wine, Devendra Banhart, and some other new faves.)

FWIW, my mom liked the Mamas and Papas and Jefferson Airplane. And my old man like Nilsson. (Maybe not that big a stretch for a guy who cut his teeth on big bands and swing.) But he wasn't actually a Jimi fan... I made that up.
;)

• Members

It took me a sec to figure out the "reasoning by Martha Graham" angle... :D (Just needed a little extra coffee* I guess.)

I'm enjoying Jesca Hoop's "Seed of Wonder," now... (I already listened to "Summertime" from the same album.) I like this quite a bit. I've been hoping someone would come up with some new wrinkles on the folktronica thing and this track seems to deliver in that respect. Lots of echoes of the past, here, too, of course, but all chopped up and reassembled in proper post modern style...

But it'll never play with the kids... I can't even hear any Autotune... :eek:

*It's alcohol I abstain from. I have two remaining vices from my long, varied, and sometimes tumultuous c.v. One of those is coffee.

PS... now that I've heard a couple more Jesca Hoop tracks, I can guarantee you this would have been right up there for me in the late 60s... I loved that outside chamber folk thing (think the outside edge of Leonard Cohen, United States of America, Lilly & Maria, Judy Sill). There's just something about a pretty voice singing the MF word that makes me all gooey inside...

• Members

What does this mean?

It means your kid is going through a phase where he's abandoning his juvenile interests and starting to emulate what he thinks will make him more like the adults in his life. Both my boys did this when they were about 11-13. They got into ZZ Top, Aerosmith, the Beatles White Album, Marvin Gaye, Zeppelin...all stuff I have in my collection...and after a few years, they sort of lost interest and got into all the stuff their peers were listening to. Now they're 20 and almost 23. It was fun while it lasted, because I got to talk with them a lot about music, what was going on when those bands first came out, and so on. They still keep some of that old stuff on their ipods, though. My oldest is discovering old country music now; it's fun to watch them 'discover' stuff that's been around forever and jump into it with both feet. Hell, I still do that.

• Members

It means your kid is going through a phase where he's abandoning his juvenile interests and starting to emulate what he thinks will make him more like the adults in his life. Both my boys did this when they were about 11-13. They got into ZZ Top, Aerosmith, the Beatles White Album, Marvin Gaye, Zeppelin...all stuff I have in my collection...and after a few years, they sort of lost interest and got into all the stuff their peers were listening to. Now they're 20 and almost 23. It was fun while it lasted, because I got to talk with them a lot about music, what was going on when those bands first came out, and so on. They still keep some of that old stuff on their ipods, though. My oldest is discovering old country music now; it's fun to watch them 'discover' stuff that's been around forever and jump into it with both feet. Hell, I still do that.

Good perspective. My boy is also into some stuff from "his own era"--Green Day, recent Chili Peppers, Linkin Park :confused:

• Members

Good perspective. My boy is also into some stuff from "his own era"--Green Day, recent Chili Peppers, Linkin Park
:confused:

My kids turned me on to some of their stuff going back the past 8 or 9 years, too-Amos Lee, John Mayer, Dashboard Confessional, Coheed and Cambria, Beck, even Radiohead is starting to grow on this old codgerly brain. :cool:

Archived