PRINCE & COPYRIGHT PROTECTION

techristian

• Members

I thought that this was an interesting article on the eccentricities of Prince.

Dan

I like what he is doing and how he is doing it.

He(they) is shaking things up and making people think while creating publicity for himself.

It terms of creating a stir, what better issue to do it with than the issue of copyrights. It's something that needs to be sorted out and it's an issue who's mechanics need to be taught to the public regardless of how their attention is drawn to it.

Check this out: If someone comes at a topic from an angle that stirs people up and makes them feel uneasy, then they are left to their own devices to point out how wrong that person is doing things.

BUT, they are then left with the responsibility of stating the ACTUAL fair way of doing things.

Once you get people arguing about the most moral way to do something the problem is well on it's way to being sorted out on it's own because everyone inherently knows the difference between right and wrong, they just need to be put in a position where they have to choose the right way.

Regardless of whether people think Prince is crazy or a dick or etc etc, the truth is he is far above the general publics' understanding in his schemes and he is doing the right thing imo.

• Members

He is a VERY talented and VERY strange person. Many years ago (1984) I designed, wired and installed a rental 24 track studio package complete with tape machine (Otari MTR-90), console, monitors (JBL 4430), and assorted signal processing in his rehersal warehouse (in St. Louis Park, Minnesota). He said he was going to work on a movie project and needed the package to work out some songs with his band (The Revolution). His engineer (Susan Rogers) called me on a Monday to make arrangements and said that Prince wanted it installed the following Monday. I had to get the gear airfreighted in and sat from Thursday evening through Sunday with soldering iron in hand preping the system for Monday delivery. That Monday afternoon was spent delivering and installing the prewired system in the warehouse. The late afternoon was spent with me "training" Prince on the operation of the system. Of course he was a great engineer in his own right at the time and was very familiar with the console (a Soundcraft 2400 if I recall correctly) since he had a similar console in his home studio. So I mainly made sure that he could work his way around the patchbay and periferals with no problems. I could barely get a peep out of him in response to my explaining as well as I could the operation and signal flow of the sytem. Of course, the movie project turned out to be Purple Rain. He has always been one to do things his own way and to stir things up where and when ever possible. This is just the latest extension of that. I really don't get it this time. I can understand having problems with the record company, but to attack his fans just seems a bit over the deep end to me.

• Members

Ha Ha on the site you posted Kelly. :lol: Following the links contained on the site you posted a link to led to this link posted below.

I read some of the comments in the blog on this page, http://prince.org/blog/2007/11/08/princes-response-to-our-protest-site/ , and even though they are p.o.'d at Prince, they are commenting about a song that he wrote on the whim in response to his aggravation with their initial protest. They "like" the funk and want to deliberately keep him riled so that he will write better materials. :lol::evil::lol:

I write my best songs based on heartache, "fury", or frustration. It's my way of venting and not letting emotions eat away at my soul.

• Members

in his rehersal warehouse (in St. Louis Park, Minnesota).

I live in St Louis Park - you don't happen to remember whereabouts that warehouse was, do you?

I always love stories like yours. How can you possibly know in the moment how huge it's going to be?

• Members

I live in St Louis Park - you don't happen to remember whereabouts that warehouse was, do you?

I always love stories like yours. How can you possibly know in the moment how huge it's going to be?

The warehouse was on a service road that is parallel to highway 7 on the south side. If I recall correctly it was west of Hwy 100. In looking at my Street Atlas USA, it might have been by Hampshire Ave. I could, of course, drive right to it since I had been there dozens of times. The last time I drove past the building it was a pet food supply warehouse or store. I tried to Google Earth it, but the place has changed too much. Back then Hwy 7 was not a divided limited access highway as it now appears to be on GE and there was direct access to the road from 7.

While he had already developed quite a name for himself in the business after the breakthrough of Little Red Corvette and 1999, I had NO idea how successful the movie would be, nor the album that was the sound track from that movie. If I had only known I would have taken pictures to document every step of the process. Of course, he would probably be suing me now to get those pictures back claiming copyright ownership. :D

Archived