Secure your recording studio from thieves.

Oliver Chesler

• Members

Good article Phil. People really need to be vigilant about protecting themselves.

As far as being a vigilante... I can totally feel for people when they break out the gun references. After my robbery in the 1990s I fantasized about catching thieves in action and well... let your imagination take you there.

• Members

You can take some steps, but frankly, the concept of security is a delusion. If the baddies want to steal your stuff, they will.

If you shoot them, that's just them reaping their own karma... certainly nothing to feel bad about.

But ultimately, it's just stuff which can be replaced. If, on the other hand, you start a gun battle with these guys and a stray bullet hits & cripples your 3 year old kid, that's tougher to deal with than finding your stuff gone... IMHO. YMMV.

• Members

Here's a short article I recently wrote about securing your recording studio from thieves. There has been quiet a few studio robberies in my area lately. Have I missed any things we can do to protect ourselves?

http://www.wiretotheear.com/2007/11/15/secure-your-recording-studio-from-thieves/

wire-to-the-ear_Secure-your.jpg

Great stuff Oliver.

:thu::thu::thu:

I'm subscribed to your feed and I always find your stuff

interesting and informative and sometimes good for a laugh.

(The loldjs site is a hoot.....)

Yes - I enjoyed reading your article too Oliver. :cool:

You can take some steps, but frankly, the concept of security is a delusion. If the baddies want to steal your stuff, they will.

In the battle of attacker vs fortification, the attacker has the advantage - especially if they have foreknowledge of all the defensive systems and measures in place.

I could emplace a platoon of Marines around my studio, and a determined attacker might bring in a battalion or regiment to attack it. If they wanted it badly enough to die for it that is... ;)

The trick is, IMO, to harden the target enough that the potential price and risk involved in attacking it are not worth the potential payoff.

Criminals are oftentimes creatures of opportunity. Leave temptation in their path, and they will not resist it if they feel they have a reasonably good chance of getting away clear. So avoid the dumb mistakes such as leaving the keys in your car when you walk into the Grab-N-Go Mini-Mart, or leaving your studio doors unlocked, or opening them to someone you do not know and are not expecting.

As far as your home or business, if you avoid the dumb mistakes - IOW, you don't make it easy for the crooks of opportunity, you can avoid a lot of these sorts of crimes. But what about the professional thief, or the robbery / thief teams? They are more likely to look at the situation in a more "professional" manner; assessing risk vs potential reward, and plotting out their attack, or deciding NOT to attack, accordingly. If you make the target riskier to hit, and the outcome more uncertain, you can potentially make them decide to look for a less risky target.

A crook is more likely to break into the house with poor lighting, no dog, no alarm system, an obviously (and frequently) absent owner, with the empty gear boxes sitting in the trash advertising the owner has a lot of expensive electronic and music gear in the home, etc. etc. than they are to break into the home of the cop down the street who has a well-secured perimeter and good defense in depth for his home, family and property.

You can never be completely secure... but you can make it so risky and costly to attack something that most crooks will decide to look for a "easier" target.

As far as firearms go... do I have to go into my positions on that again? ;)

So...is that gun gonna shoot the robbers all by itself when you're not home?
:rolleyes:

No - that's what they invented claymores and trip wires for.

At least that looks good on paper... but I forgot that this is California, and it came back to bite me in the butt when the Northridge earthquake triggered a motion sensor I had rigged up to a shaped charge to cover an egress point... it wound up taking out two walls and the neighbor's pet alpaca (this is California after all ;) ). What a sad day. :( Here's a picture of Skippy the alpaca:

Alpaca_cuzco_peru.jpg

:cry:

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson about booby-traps. Not to mention they're illegal in every state of the USA.

PS Dear DHS / FBI / NSA et al: This is a parody / joke post - I do not use, nor do I condone the illegal use of any explosives or explosive device, or any other illegal activity. :wave:

• Members

Good thread, Phil

Having been the recipient of a home breakin, I have since added 95 lbs of Trained Ball-chompin German Shepherd goodness to my home when I'm away. If they manage to get in, bar ignoring the nasty growling from inside the home... well... I don't feel sorry for them.

Archived