Honey, I'll tell you what I REALLY want for Christmas

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I never answer when my wife asks what I want from her for Christmas. She asks for me to be specific and I always smile and tell her to just get me what she wants to get me. Socks. How about a book. ETC.

...then she asked me this year and I got thinking. I mean, she tells me exactly what she wants. "This specific digital camera. An Olympus XRTE#$%^."

So shouldn't I?

Yesterday I bookmarked Front End Audio Avantone Mixcubes and changed the bookmark name to "LISA!!! LEE'S PRESENT RIGHT HERE!!!" Then I showed her and asked her just who the hell would put that there?!?!?

• Members

I think that makes good sense.

I heard a gal on NPR the other day who said that when her kids were growing up, they were on a tight budget so, when they were old enough (and I think she mentioned grade school age on up) she sat them down and said, Look, there's only so much money for presents this year, here's how much I have to spend, I need you to figure out what you want me to spend your share on, keeping that budget in mind. She said she never heard any whining or "is that all there is" complaints and that the kids always appeared delighted on the big day.

• Moderators

Your wife... is she.... a smart woman? No offense intended by the way, an honest question. Is she intelligent?

I want a Willie Parker jersey, a 26" HDTV for the bedroom and Assassin's creed for XBOX360.

Cute. Yeah, she's very smart. She just doesn't know a thing about recording gear though. So I could ask for a specific item and end up with some very different than I asked for. She calls my studio, "All those wires." As in, "Are you going to be playing with all those wires tonight?"

How about your wife? Is she hot? ;)

(Note passive aggressive juxtaposition of the inflammatory "is she hot?" and the smiling, winking happy face. I guess though you didn't intend offense, you did offend)

• Members

A few years ago my wife said she got something really awesome that she said I'd love. On and on, any way, it ended up being a watch. A nice one at that, but still, a watch! She said I've never seen you with one so I thought you'd love it! The grump that I am, sort of mumbled " there is a reason you've never seen me with a watch"! So now I do the same, a 12 pack of guitars strings, or if I'm lucky maybe a plugin! But ya I also scope out all that for myself so theres no mistake. She does the same with jewlery! I said, you know I know nothing about it. So sales guy could say it's worth $1000 on sale for $200, I wouldn't know the difference between $20 ear ring or a $1000 ear ring! So save the hassle, we'll go together, pick what you like! With 4 kids running around it's a lot easier to just get what you want the first time.

:)

Later

• Members

Cute. Yeah, she's very smart. She just doesn't know a thing about recording gear though. So I could ask for a specific item and end up with some very different than I asked for. She calls my studio, "All those wires." As in, "Are you going to be playing with all those wires tonight?"

How about your wife? Is she hot?
;)

(Note passive aggressive juxtaposition of the inflammatory "is she hot?" and the smiling, winking happy face. I guess though you didn't intend offense, you did offend)

I mean ... really. I wasn't intending to offend you... but there was really no way to phrase that in a non-inflammatory way, was there? I tried to clarify, but that probably came off as being arrogant or sarcastic.

It's just that, IMO, you made her sound kind of stupid, and in the greater reality of the situation, I assumed that she just didn't know much about it. So, thanks for your gracious explanation.

And, once again, IMO, my wife is very hot--but then again, I have the pleasure of seeing her naked most every day. To most though, she comes off as "cute." She's like, 5'5", 115 lb., but she has a softer face. Her cheek bones aren't very defined, which makes her cheeks look bigger... so like I said, most people would call her "cute" before they'd say that she was "hot." Plus, she's a middle school teacher, so most of her attire is pretty modest. She most certainly can put on the right outfit, be SUPER SEXY, and turn some heads in the process... but most days, you'd probably think that she's just "cute."

:thu:

• Members

We always trade lists (I do mine in a spreadsheet with prices going from lowest to highest). Not of just stuff we would like for Christmas, but prefaced by the sentence "This is ALL the stuff I'm keeping my eye on..."

That way we can pick and choose with no guilt.

Archived