New recent CDs

philbo

• Members

In light of the amount of regular bitching I do on this board about newly released music, I thought it only fair to list a couple of the 'keepers' I've run into lately.

Eagles - Long Road Out Eden

JJ Cale & Eric Clapton - The Road to Escondido

What are some of your recent favorites?

• Members

Lately, I've been a "viral messenger," a memetic vehicle, for a bunch of newer artists/CDs, so you may have already heard these from me. I don't claim any of these will rock your world like, say, the first time you heard Bad Company ;), but I quite like:

Kismet, by Jesca Hoop

(comes from a Weil-esque, Waits-eque, somewhat electronified cabaret-rock space, but she is a really striking, unique performer who sings like a cross between Bjork and a dowdy English shop girl)

Andrew Bird and The Mysterious Production of Eggs

Sounds kind of Dylan at the circus. Great stuff. World class whistler!

from my son's collection, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the CD "Elevator" by the Canadian band Hot Hot Heat. Delightful, high energy, early-XTC-inspired quirk pop. Too bad their brand new follow up is such a...well I'm loathe to say disaster, but it is certainly a big whoops.

• Members

I'm liking Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon, by Devendra Banhart. It's a jump from his ultra-lo fi roots but it still captures his quirky charm and spikey advernturism and the bigger budget lets him play with more elaborate arrangements. He goes back to his Latin American roots for some of the textures and sounds -- and drops in and out of Spanish through the album.

If you haven't heard him, there are all kinds of things going on with him, but probably the best reference would be pre-amplification Tyrannosaurus Rex/Marc Bolan. But while some of his earliest stuff sounded eerily like old Tyrannosaurus Rex, the new stuff falls pretty far from that tree, while still maintaining the oddball charms and intimacy.

• Members

Great player,composer,singer, storyteller. hey...and I don't think he reads.

He's illiterate?

As for my picks--the one that stood out most to me recently was The White Stripes' Icky Thump. It's one of those albums that you could just imagine blowing kids' minds back in the '70s, had it existed yet. But since this is 2007, it'll just have to settle for the status of "really good rock album".

• Members

I've been enjoying the CD from a band of kids, out of New Orleans, called Mute Math. Interesting mix of lo, medium, and hi-fi; some of the tracks are transitional between the bigger pieces, and there's an interesting sound about them that I can't quite put my finger on nor can I put a label on.

Which, I suppose, is a pretty good thing.

• Members

It's one of those albums that you could just imagine blowing kids' minds back in the '70s, had it existed yet. But since this is 2007, it'll just have to settle for the status of "really good rock album".

I think this is true for so many bands today. Its just such a different world for a band to become superstars no matter how good they are.

• Members

Mute Math have an awesome video, with the band performing backwards, but syncing to the music going forward. Really fun. The song's quite good as well.

I've seen that. Hurts to watch, because I can't get my former video-production-engineer-mindset head around how it was done.

:D

Archived