XP Usre profiles or dual boot???

The dman

• Members

Hello

I'm changing around computer#2 in my studio. Sometimes I use it for internet and sometimes I use it for a second audio box. Up until now I've been accomplishing this with removeable hard drives with separate installs.

I want to either go dual boot (same drive) or use the profiles in xp. What I want to know is one better than the other? On my internet system I have all the bells and whistles running but on my audio drive it's lean and mean. If I use user profiles I want to make sure I have no BS running in the background from the internet profile.

Or would it be better make an image file of my internet drive and restore it to a blank partition on my audio drive and dual boot?

Thanks

• Members

Bad timing.... somebody posted an identical question about a week ago. I suggest you do a search for it to pick up the thread of commentary on the topic.

Readers Digest condensed version:

Dual Boot = extra disk space wasted on a 2nd copy of the OS, but probably better isolation between the two uses.

Hardware Profiles = a usable solution, but not as robust as dual-boot.

• Members

Consider using a bootable Linux build for 'guest' users....Make your main profile, lock it and provide the linux boot for browsing and web mail.

:thu: I'd dual boot with PCLOS for general work and your Windows OS for your music production. The PCLOS is easily set up with your account and a "guest" account. Extra restrictions can easily be placed on the guest account but they can't install anything anyway so your system will remain safe.

Archived