Good Pair of headphones?

echoshock

• Members

So I broke my headphones that I've been using for probably 5 years. Since I haven't kept up with all of the advances in headphone technology during that time, can ya'll recommend a nice pair of isolating headphones? Something budget oriented. hmm, is the $150 range reasonable for decent quality?

Thanks!

• Members

Best headphones I've ever used are the Sennheiser HD280's. They can be had for $70-90

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Professional/dp/B000065BPB/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196109116&sr=1-1

Good sound isolation, great sounding. They're not bass heavy, so if you like a lot of bass you might be dissapointed, but they are pretty natural sounding.

I also have a set of in-ears that I use when I travel. Great for noisy places as they cut almost all background noise. I use the Etymotic ER6i's, which are relatively cheap for in-ears.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BQSGMM/km-20/ref=nosim

Also, if you're looking for a good headphone resource, I suggest:

http://www.head-fi.org/

Can ya'll recommend a nice pair of isolating headphones?

If isolation is what you seek, I highly recommend these. They're usually sold via the usual online dealers at under $90 per pair, and they work great for isolating the performer from the sounds in the room, and for keeping click tracks in the can mix from bleeding into the microphones.

• Members

I settled on AKG K240DF after trying a few different sets. They have a relatively flat response for headphones. Unfortunately they are up to $200 now- they cost about $150 when I bought several sets a couple of years back... maybe because of the sinking USD.

• Members

I would not recommend Sennheiser 280's, mine fell apart, too much plastic to break off. They still sound good though, and the ear cushins haven't worn a bit in three years, but up from there broken plastic.

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 212's and they sound better, have less plastic to break but have smaller ear pieces which I'll have to get use to. One thing I don't like about them is that they have a thin wire from each ear piece. On other headphones from the past one usually starts to short out if you're not delicate with them.

Steve

• CMS Author

can ya'll recommend a nice pair of isolating headphones? Something budget oriented. hmm, is the $150 range reasonable for decent quality?

You can buy a lot of great headphones for $150, but there's no perfect headphone for everything. Do you want them for listening for pleasure? Mixing, as a substitute for accurate monitors? (both of those really work out better with "open" designs rather than closed phones for isolation) What kind of isolation? Playing in the studio? Keeping your drums out of your headphones? Keeping your listening music from bothering others in the room?

You may need more than one set of headphones if you use them for more than one purpose, but you can probably still stay within your $150 budget.

Archived