relatively weird artists that recorded mainstream albums

Ernest Buckley

• Members

Clear Spot, the Captain Beefheart album that Ted Templeman produced turned up a couple of near hits. Out here in LA "Too Much Time" actually got a lot of airplay. The sleeper tune -- a real beauty, I've always thought -- was the unabashed love song, "Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles." Those who know the Joan Osborne cover will be pleasantly surprised by the Magic Band's haunting version.

• Members

Well, I for one was blown away when I saw David Bowie sing "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby in 1973...

I always thought that Alice Cooper's WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE (1975) was a remarkable-- and totally successful-- attempt to clean up his image considerably, become a more "accessible" celebrity to Mom, Dad & The Kids, and to make a bid for Top 40 charting.

• Members

I don't remember them doing "White Christmas" -- but I definitely remember them dueting on "Little Drummer Boy" (the vid's out there on the net). And I think the special it was from was maybe more like '76 or so. I was taking a surrealism class; we had group final projects and my group put together a dadaist band (it was really bad). We took time out from "rehearsing" to watch the show, IIRC. The single from it was released in '77, so it might have been that year (or it could have been released sometime after the TV show, as I suspect). But '76 sticks in my head.

• Members

Tyrannosaurus Rex, specializer in weird, acoustic guitar and hand-drum oriented "witch music" went on to switch hand percussion for a trap set, add a bass player, an LP and a Marshall stack and T. Rex was born doing glam for wised-up 70s teens.

Adrian Belew played with Zappa, Talking Heads, King Crimson, doing outside, wobble-bar weirdness... but when it came time for him to go solo, it turned out his own favored music was light Beatleish pop. (I can tell you I was drop-jawed when I saw him. It was so un-amazing.)

• Members

Lydia Lunch doing a straight version of "Spooky," the old Classics IV tune.

Tempted to suggest the Resident's Third Reich 'n' Roll... but...

Delighted to find it's on my subscription service -- and I just put it on (I have it on vinyl but that's in the garage). Now this is outsider pop.

• Members

Clear Spot, the Captain Beefheart album that Ted Templeman produced turned up a couple of near hits. Out here in LA "Too Much Time" actually got a lot of airplay. The sleeper tune -- a real beauty, I've always thought -- was the unabashed love song, "Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles." Those who know the Joan Osborne cover will be pleasantly surprised by the Magic Band's haunting version.

The Captain's early-mid 70s stuff was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Great call.

I'll have to track down that JO cover. Sounds really interesting.

• Members

:lol:

I`m just curious, when would you say MJ got "weird"?

Even though BAD was an immaculately produced album, it struck me as kind of a "dud" of sorts from the moment it hit the shelves.... perhaps because MJ (or his image-makers, more likely) got just TOO cocky about his style and image... Wasn't it around that time that he made that bizarre video, casting himself as sort of a political demigod, a-la Lenin or Mao? THRILLER had plenty of self-deprecating camp, what with Vincent Price's voiceover... But BAD had that kind of cocaine-silver sheen to it, which takes itself too seriously and linearly... (I can smell that particular cocaine-silver ultra-linear sheen whenever ANY artist is suddenly afflicted by it, and it often spells artistic disaster, regardless of the genre.) Just MHO. Apologies to those who treasure BAD or who were associated with its making. . Also, even though we all know that "bad" is ghetto slang for "good", one is really tempting the hands of fate to name an album this.... Just like the Broadway show in the 70's which dared to name itself TURKEY.

MJ, in his image and videos, sort of "toyed with" androgyny, but there were other artistes, on both sides of the pond, who really pushed androgyny MUCH further.... and they landed household, everyday hits in spite (or because) of it: Marilyn, Dead-Or-Alive, Culture Club, Eurythmics, Poison, and ultimately..... Prince.

After the advent of Prince, I'm not sure MJ had nearly as much marketing capital. Prince could do EVERYTHING, dammit!

Then when MJ started the wholesale butchery of his face, Wow! De-Negroidizing his face was not the issue at all, not really... it was his turning his face into some kind of elfin droid-ishness which was.

Again, just MHO, FWIW.

• Members

The Captain's early-mid 70s stuff was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Great call.

I'll have to track down that JO cover. Sounds really interesting.

Well, props to her for covering it... but I have to say I was less than wowed by the Joan Osborne version. It kind of flattens it out into a regular 80s style rock song... with some histrionic rock-warbling... and the musical accompaniment seems really pretty lame in comparison to the Magic Band's. Oh and it changes the title :freak: -- to "His Eyes are a Blue Million Miles."

There's also a Gary Lucas version (clearly with the Captain himself -- though the music is rough and the recording quality sounds like someone with a personal recorder in the audience), a trip hoppy-dream pop kind of version by The King of Luxembourg (at least these girl singers don't change the damn lyrics) -- and a wild one by Yat-Kha, the Tuvan throat-singing popster weirdos -- finally someone who can go lower than the Captain -- kinda... of course, Tuvan throat-singing is kind of like falsetto turned upside down.

Archived