What's The Oldest (Music) Software You Use?

Magpel

• Members

My mom will still only use the Leading Edge Word Processor (circa '86 -- I wrote my grad school essays on it) but that's not what I'm asking...

I'd say the oldest music software I still use is GigaSampler 1.60...in fact I have a Windows 98 machine and M-Audio Audiophile dedicated to it, pretty much for one piano and a handful of percussion samples.

Other than that? Hmmm, Sound Forge 5, probably, and some of the first VSTs I discovered, like the the Traingle II freebie from Rene (rgc, Cakewalk).

Nothing terribly, impressively old. What about you? I still play free cell.

• Members

I still have a Win 98 machine too with the Audiophile 2496 so I can run an old softsynth Reality. It has alot of sounds I've used in past recordings that are pretty much exclusive to it, and sampling them just wouldn't get it. Its become a hardware synth with no chance of ever being upgraded, which will probably become the fate of alot of today's VSTi's a couple of operating systems from now. Vista is already giving my VAZ Modular a little lip. :freak: Oh well, hardware synths get abandoned or discontinued too, that's synth life.

Steve

Probably C-Lab Notator 3.21. I don't use it day to day, but I still have it and an old Mega ST/e to run it on, along with the Unitor and so forth, and I pull it out of storage once in a while just to remind myself what I'm missing in terms of MIDI notation in PT. :mad::cry:

Outside of that, probably Sound Forge. I have later versions, but I still regularly run V5.

• Members

i still have a MAC9600 running Akai MESA for my Akai S2000 sampler via SCSI interface. i dont use it anymore, but i still have it. i dont really know what to do with it honestly. i thought about throwing away the MAC but then what would i do with my sampler? it was so much easier to program the sampler via MESA than through the front interface. though i dont really know if i need the sampler anymore with what is out now, i do like their DACs on it for drum samples, so punchy. geez, thinking about it, i dont know what to do with any of my MIDI sound modules anymore... they seem kind of pointless now with VSTi's and modern computing power.

• Moderators

Sound Forge 4.5

I use it everyday for my day gig, recording, editing and processing telephony files. I bought it new, set up a complicated batch process and haven't changed it since, insuring consistency with same voice updates being strung together with files that were recorded 9 years ago.

I upgrade as well... but 4.5 gets the brunt of work. That piece of software bought my home.

• Members

Sound Forge 4.5

I use it everyday for my day gig, recording, editing and processing telephony files. I bought it new, set up a complicated batch process and haven't changed it since, insuring consistency with same voice updates being strung together with files that were recorded 9 years ago.

I upgrade as well... but 4.5 gets the brunt of work. That piece of software bought my home.

I love 4.5. SF 5 is garbage by comparison. The only problem with 4.5 was no 24 bit.

• CMS Author

My favorite editor for assembling music programs is Fast Edit. I started out with Fast Eddie and upgraded to the latest version, but I think that's from 2001. It edits, it's fast, and I almost never have to re-do an edit because it knows how to crossfade through a splice (unlike some modern programs that were designed by people who never cut tape).

• Members

I still use SAW from the mid 90's. I don't use it as a multitrack (I use Sonar 6) but SAW is the only software I've ever had that has input levels in software so I can adjust recording levels from my turntable or dat or old cassettes and such. It's a one trick pony for what I use it for, but it's a necessary trick.

• Members

It's not installed right now, but in a previous Windows (XP) install on my computer, i used Cakewalk Pro 3.01 (INSTALLED FROM A SINGLE FLOPPY DISK!) just to sequence my own MIDI ringtones.

I have my disk for that, but the oldest software I have is Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, which is actually on this laptop I'm on right now. I just use it for MIDI, but I'm 100% dependent on Cakewalk when it comes to my MIDI writing... it takes me three times as long to do things on a piano roll... I bring up the staff, click, click, done.

I'm very excited that one of the bands I'm in has recently purchased DP... I hear the notation view in that is excellent. :love:

Archived