Farewell, Noble Crown D50

Magpel

• Members

I bought a used Crown D50 power amp for my fledgling composers studio about 17 years ago, on the same day I bought a Roland U20 keyboard, an Alesis MMT 8 sequencer and some little JBL 1 monitors--my first MIDI rig.

Everything else has been back in its box for years, but I still use that Crown D50...until today. I blew out the right channel. Thought it was my Tannoy Reveals at first but due dilligence "revealed" it to be the Crown. Well, 17 years of service, and bought USED for 150 bucks to begin with. No complaints here.

Now on to the important follow up: would you replace it with a new or used power amp, or use this opportunity to move to powered monitors?

A colleague may be willing to part with an amp he's not using for cheap, in which case I'd probably take the cheapest route to status quo.

• CMS Author

I blew out the right channel. Thought it was my Tannoy Reveals at first but due dilligence "revealed" it to be the Crown. Well, 17 years of service, and bought USED for 150 bucks to begin with. No complaints here.

Now on to the important follow up: would you replace it with a new or used power amp, or use this opportunity to move to powered monitors?

I'd be cautious about cheap amps (which is different from a friend selling you a good amp cheap, but he'd have to be a pretty good friend). Amplifiers really do sound different, and honestly, the D50, workhorse that it is, isn't a great sounding amplifier. Look around for a used Hafler P1500, which should be a good match for your Reveals. Or an Adcom 535 It's a consumer amp but sounds really good and it's quite inexpensive. There are almost always a few on eBay.

A friend whose ears I trust picked up a couple of the new Alesis RA150 power amplifiers (someone said they were Behringer, but I don't believe it for a minute) and was really impressed with them. He was using them to replace the headphone amplifiers in his studio, but hooked them up to his monitors to check them out and they compared favorably with his Haflers. It might be a sleeper.

• Members

Hmmm... reminds me of a band I worked FOH for who used DC150's and DC300's as their power amps. All went really well till one night the amp driving the bass cabs got an internal short and dumped about 85 VDC across the speaker & shot the one of the voice coils out into the audience. It was fairly spectacular, lots of smoke & stuff!

• Members

I'd be cautious about cheap amps (which is different from a friend selling you a good amp cheap, but he'd have to be a pretty good friend). Amplifiers really do sound different, and honestly, the D50, workhorse that it is, isn't a great sounding amplifier. Look around for a used Hafler P1500, which should be a good match for your Reveals. Or an Adcom 535 It's a consumer amp but sounds really good and it's quite inexpensive.

How strange.

I have a Hafler 1500 driving my KRK 7000B's in my studio.

I have the Adcom 535 in my family room as the main stereo amp.

:cool:

• Members

My friend brought the amp by tonight--it is in fact a Teac AH 500, a kind of audiophile "hi fi" integrated amp. I hooked it up. It sounds simply lovely. Is there any good reason not to use this to power studio monitors?

• Members

I didn't even know Teac made power amps.

I love Crown but only used them for live. I've still got a couple of early/mid 70's DC-300s around that work flawlessly. There was this old one that had; 'Laboratory Power Amplifier' on the front that always blew up but after that they got their sheite together.

If the Teac sounds good and you can afford it then go for it. I'm using a very old Yammy Natural Sound receiver to run my monitors right now and it's sweet.

One more thing, there was a very positive review of the ART single space amps to run studio monitors in Tape Op. The cat went on and on about how much better his monitors sounded with this amp (seems like he had a Hafler or some brand I've heard of before). Haven't heard them myself, but they're small and lightweight and not that expensive brand new.

• CMS Author
My friend brought the amp by tonight--it is in fact a Teac AH 500, a kind of audiophile "hi fi" integrated amp. I hooked it up. It sounds simply lovely. Is there any good reason not to use this to power studio monitors?

No reason not to use it as long as you're OK with whatever he's asking for it, compared to what you would have to pay for what's been recommended.

• Members

No reason not to use it as long as you're OK with whatever he's asking for it, compared to what you would have to pay for what's been recommended.

Right. He paid 400 for it new 6 years ago and he's asking 150 for it, which seems reasonable for a pretty (by my lowly standards) Hi Fi receiver. That also puts it right in the range of the very cheapest stuff referenced in this thread--the Alesis RA150 is 200; the cheapest of the ARTs is down there too.

My think is that this Teac makes an excellent stop-gap for me; right now, I'm upgrading preamps and mics and looking into sound treatment; great new monitors would be the other logical component of this global upgrade, but it is the one I decided to put off (well, that and new converters).

When I do decide to upgrade monitors, this Teac will move "upstairs" quite nicely, 'cause believe me it is a fair bit better than the Sony that currently powers my stereo. And it has all the connectivity I need, being modest of need. And the knobs turn so smooth, it takes me back to 1972.

So as long as there is no abject SHAME in using hi fi components in a spare room composer's studio, I think I'll buy the Teac... ;)

• Members

Right. He paid 400 for it new 6 years ago and he's asking 150 for it, which seems reasonable for a pretty (by my lowly standards) Hi Fi receiver. That also puts it right in the range of the very cheapest stuff referenced in this thread--the Alesis RA150 is 200; the cheapest of the ARTs is down there too.

My think is that this Teac makes an excellent stop-gap for me; right now, I'm upgrading preamps and mics and looking into sound treatment; great new monitors would be the other logical component of this global upgrade, but it is the one I decided to put off (well, that and new converters).

When I do decide to upgrade monitors, this Teac will move "upstairs" quite nicely, 'cause believe me it is a fair bit better than the Sony that currently powers my stereo. And it has all the connectivity I need, being modest of need. And the knobs turn so smooth, it takes me back to 1972.

So as long as there is no abject SHAME in using hi fi components in a spare room composer's studio, I think I'll buy the Teac...
;)

No shame from my perspective - - if it does the job, it does the job. If not, then not...

• Members

Hmm, thanks all for the good advice. I'm gonna buy the Teac, I think, because my plan is to upgrade to some powered monitors soon enough, then what good is a plain ol' power amp? Plus the Teac sounds really good to my ears--immediate improvement over the Crown, and the knobs, I'm telling you...they're positively creamy.

• Members

a kind of audiophile "hi fi" integrated amp...

Is there any good reason not to use this to power studio monitors?

A couple of considerations. 'Integrated' implies that you have to go thru another preamp to get to the power amp. As long as gain-staging isn't a problem, why not use an IA. Also, rule of thumb is to buy an amp that will deliver twice the RMS power that the speakers' peak power is rated at. The low power of the Teac may affect loud music(amp compression). Teac parts are also a sore spot.

As long as it's a stop-gap purchase and you like it, I'd say go for it. Just don't get used to it.

Best, Paul

Archived