I still miss him

jackpine

• Members

I'm in the process of writing my final paper for my PA501 class on the challenges facing public administration today. Noticing the date, I began my paper with the quote:

I'm sick and tired of hearing things

From uptight, short-sighted

Narrow minded hypocrites

All I want is the truth

Just give me some truth

I've had enough of reading things

By neurotic, psychotic,

Pig-headed politicians

All I want is the truth

Just give me some truth

- John Lennon

I thought it quite appropriate, given both the date and the subject matter at hand.

• Members

I found out about Lennon's death on CNN. I remember the anchorwoman fighting back tears as she read the story.

The next day at the record store in which I worked, there was a run on Double Fantasy and it sold out quickly.

*Sigh*

I miss John Lennon and record stores...

:(

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I share John Lennon's birthday, we had a somewhat similar upbring with some eerie parallels, between us.

There are certain songs of his that have lost their innocence for me, since his death, and are just unbearably sad to listen to, now.

I admired his candidness, his faith in creating positive change for the world, and his willingness to toss his life as a rocker away, for the benefit of family.

I am exactly the same age as John was, when he was murdered.

So...I think I'll stay at home, today.

footnote: How different would be the reaction and lasting legacy be, if it had been McCartney who was murdered, instead of Lennon?

• Moderators

It was yesterday... wasn't it?

Last night I was walking around a furniture store with my wife and kid after dinner and there was a 6' x 6' painting of John's face with the English riding cap he wore and tinted glasses during his late Dakota period... and that face was superimposed over Central Park. I thought how strange to paint that period, that 'I Love NY' period. But I liked it a lot.

I stood in the store looking at it for a good 5 minutes. It wasn't great art, it was a furniture store for God's sake, but it was Lennon and it struck a chord somehow.

• Members

I tell this same story every year, so stop me if you've read it before.

It was the night of my first big public guitar recital... December 8, 1980. I was twelve years old, a huge Beatles fan, and had played very well that evening on my Matsumoto knock-off LP custom, and was really happy. Riding in the back seat on the way home in my Dad's Volvo and feeling pretty gleeful and proud, I had my folks flip on the radio.

I can still hear the tone in Jim Ladd's voice as he interrupted a song and announced the first reports that John Lennon had been shot in New York City, and to stay tuned for details.

RIP John. I played a show yesterday afternoon and dedicated a tune to him. I try to play every year on 12/8 and continue that tradition of respect.

• Members

I'm in the process of writing my final paper for my PA501 class on the challenges facing public administration today. Noticing the date, I began my paper with the quote:

I'm sick and tired of hearing things

From uptight, short-sighted

Narrow minded hypocrites

All I want is the truth

Just give me some truth

I've had enough of reading things

By neurotic, psychotic,

Pig-headed politicians

All I want is the truth

Just give me some truth

- John Lennon

I thought it quite appropriate, given both the date and the subject matter at hand.

In a moment of hilarious irony, I read my above post, and then noted my avatar and sig line...:freak::eek:

• Members

I was in High School. I was shaving, getting ready for school, when my Dad called up the stairs and told me.

John was not my favorite; that would be Paul, but it didn't really matter to me. My central thought--then, and to this day--was "How could you kill a Beatle? Who would want to kill a Beatle?"

• Members

For those that would like to see a great performance by John:

http://www.fastfocus.tv/media.aspx?id=122

From Yoko:

December 8, 2007

I miss you, John. 27 years later, I still wish I could turn back the clock to the Summer of 1980. I remember everything - sharing our morning coffee, walking in the park together on a beautiful day, and seeing your hand stretched to mine - holding it, reassuring me that I shouldn't worry about anything because our life was good.

I had no idea that life was about to teach me the toughest lesson of all. I learned the intense pain of losing a loved one suddenly, without warning, and without having the time for a final hug and the chance to say, "I love you," for the last time. The pain and shock of that sudden loss is with me every moment of every day. When I touched John's side of our bed on the night of December 8th, 1980, I realized that it was still warm. That moment has haunted me for the past 27 years - and will stay with me forever.

Even harder for me is watching what was taken away from our beautiful boy, Sean.

He lives in silent anger over not having his Dad, whom he loved so much, around to share his life with. I know we are not alone. Our pain is one shared by many other families who are suffering as the victims of senseless violence. This pain has to stop.

Let's not waste the lives of those we have lost. Let's, together, make the world a place of love and joy and not a place of fear and anger. This day of John's passing has become more and more important for so many people around the world as the day to remember his message of Peace and Love and to do what each of us can to work on healing this planet we cherish.

Let's: Think Peace, Act Peace, and Spread Peace. John worked for it all his life.

He said, "there's no problem, only solutions." Remember, we are all together.

We can do it, we must. I love you!

Yoko Ono Lennon

• Members

DSC_0141dakota.jpg

I don't remember the specifics very well, but I remember being shocked by it, as was everyone else, and thinking, "Why would anyone want to do that?". My friend was a huge Beatles fan, and he took it really hard.

I remember being in NYC exactly one week before the incident for Thanksgiving. And 7 days before he was shot, I walked in front of the Dakota building...probably in the same place where he was shot and thinking to myself, "This is where John Lennon lives....cool! I wonder if he's in there now?"

7 days later he was gone.

• Members

Freshman in college and a huge lennon fan at that time (hell, I even liked the album Mind Games). I, like many others, found out from Howard Cossell. Never before or since has a "celebrity death" had remotely the same impact on me. I've heard people older than myself huff with contempt when it is suggested that Lennon's murder was on par with JFK's, but I believe it was, in some ways--maybe not in terms of cultural destabilization. I was pretty destabilized by Lennon's death.

• Members

I remember being in NYC exactly one week before the
incident
for Thanksgiving. And 7 days before he was shot, I walked in front of the Dakota building...probably in the same place where he was shot and thinking to myself, "This is where John Lennon lives....cool! I wonder if he's in there now?"

7 days later he was gone.

If you look at my photo of the Dakota Building, you can sort of see where he was shot. It's on the left hand side, where the truck is located. That's probably where you walked past. There are now always people there, stopping past to give their respects, take photos, etc.

Archived